Green Algae?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lickyricky
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

lickyricky

Red Sea Max E-170
View Badges
Joined
Jun 23, 2012
Messages
407
Reaction score
119
Location
Miami, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has been up an running for exactly one month now. Just recently, I started seeing green algae form on the very tops of the live rock closes to the lights. Well, this morning, it seems to have covered the entire top part of all the rock! is this normal? Its a 30 gallon and I have 10 snails. Please help
 
It is a normal part of the cycle. If it doesn't do away with good water parameters you may have an issue. What are you using for source water?
 
It is a normal part of the cycle. If it doesn't do away with good water parameters you may have an issue. What are you using for source water?
pre mixed Salt Water from the LFS
 
pre mixed Salt Water from the LFS

Depending on your LFS you may want to test it for phosphates with a low range test like the Hanna Checker. I wouldn't put a drop of water from our LFS in my tank but not all LFS are as bad as ours here. I'm not putting down your LFS either but it's common for many not to change RO/DI filters or membranes regularly. Phosphates in your source water will cause an increase in algae growth.
 
do you think that I need more snails?
 
do you think that I need more snails?

No. Your tank is either too young and the algae will pass or you need to find out the source of what's fueling the algae. Either overfeeding, bad source water, lack of nutrient export. Are you running a skimmer?
 
No. Your tank is either too young and the algae will pass or you need to find out the source of what's fueling the algae. Either overfeeding, bad source water, lack of nutrient export. Are you running a skimmer?
yes, I am running the rather small one for the Biocube and it seems to be removing some yucky junk. I feed my 3 fish a small portion of frozen food in the morning and 4-8 very small pellets in the evening (although the clown is a pig and eats most of those). The water from my LFS is always perfect when I test it.
 
I'd give it time then. Keep up with your water changes and maintenance and the algae should be gone in no time.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new