Ich?

docscorals

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 13, 2025
Messages
676
Reaction score
613
Location
Madison
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairly certain this is, but looking for confirmation.
20261004_101549_AC6586F6-9448-4C12-949D-90E2C5BC54C9.png
 
Fairly certain this is, but looking for confirmation.
20261004_101549_AC6586F6-9448-4C12-949D-90E2C5BC54C9.png
Looks like mucus cones but keep an eye on it. Ich will increase in location and number of dots daily. Can even be grains of sand. Check again tomorrow. If mucus cones, others in tank will show no signs
 
Can you post a few more pics? At first glance this does not look like Ich.
I’ll try to catch some more when he comes out again. He is newer to the tank and hides a lot yet.
 
Can you post a few more pics? At first glance this does not look like Ich.
Here’s a few more.
20261004_120003_102ECF52-1EFE-421F-8408-DB805F5C609B.png


20261004_120003_F77CCF32-BB67-42D1-8948-CE2D537083C2.png


20261004_120004_164A7ED8-65AC-4E01-BF64-93634C3BE953.png


20261004_120004_6CD246C9-DC78-45B0-A228-4C55554EAC26.png


20261004_120004_A598BF48-05CA-4D37-94F6-620E84077409.png

I looked and there are no spots on my other fish (fingers crossed).
 
The foxface is a little stressed. I bought him from Petco on Wednesday because he was in a 20 long for two weeks. After putting him in my tank. My powder brown tang become a little aggressive so the foxface kind of hid in one corner.

He has been eating just fine and is out swimming more now that the tang generally leaves him alone.
 
The foxface is a little stressed. I bought him from Petco on Wednesday because he was in a 20 long for two weeks. After putting him in my tank. My powder brown tang become a little aggressive so the foxface kind of hid in one corner.

He has been eating just fine and is out swimming more now that the tang generally leaves him alone.

It's really tough to tell mucus plugs from ich in some fish (foxface and tangs). Often, the fish has both. I look for distinct white spots on the fins, not the body. Mucus plugs usually are only seen on the body, so white spots on the fins are more an indication of ich. I couldn't see any spots on the fish's fins in the pictures, but you are in a better position to see that.....
 
The foxface is a little stressed. I bought him from Petco on Wednesday because he was in a 20 long for two weeks. After putting him in my tank. My powder brown tang become a little aggressive so the foxface kind of hid in one corner.

He has been eating just fine and is out swimming more now that the tang generally leaves him alone.

It's really tough to tell mucus plugs from ich in some fish (foxface and tangs). Often, the fish has both. I look for distinct white spots on the fins, not the body. Mucus plugs usually are only seen on the body, so white spots on the fins are more an indication of ich. I couldn't see any spots on the fish's fins in the pictures, but you are in a better position to see that.....
Thanks. I’m not seeing anything on the fins so hopefully it’s all good.
 
It's really tough to tell mucus plugs from ich in some fish (foxface and tangs). Often, the fish has both. I look for distinct white spots on the fins, not the body. Mucus plugs usually are only seen on the body, so white spots on the fins are more an indication of ich. I couldn't see any spots on the fish's fins in the pictures, but you are in a better position to see that.....
I would like to get. histologic impression of mucus cones. We seem to automatically hold them as 'ich' (possible) plus cones. Has anyone researched the 'cones' - and where did we get this easy out saying its mucus cones, or ich. Has anyone ever left 'mucus cones' alone - which we hear all of the time. I think a mucus cone is an indicator of inflammation from any number of causes. The good news is that many of those causes are treated with the standard recommendations
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new