Green cyano? Root cause questions

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I know this has been asked probably a million times but I’m having a hard time tracking down a known solution to what I think is green Cyanobacteria.

As you can see in the photo, I have a green mat that’s growing in my sandbed and starting to form on the rockwork.

Tank started in May 2022 (40B with AIO Filter)
Nitrate: 2.5ppm
PO4: 0.1ppm
pH: 8.0
Alk: 9
Ca: 440
Mg: 1320
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 77

Recently came out of a large GHA outbreak that started in January 2023. Rock/sand leaching phosphates. GHA no longer in tank as of 1 week ago, but am still mildly using phosgaurd to keep PO4 below 0.1ppm (otherwise will rise to 0.15PPM)

Currently moving sandbed/blowing with Turkey baster every other day.

Routine Feeding:
Live phyto (AM) - just before lights kick on
Frozen mysis (AM)
4-5mL AB+ (AM)
Frozen brine (PM)

Routine Dosing:
AFR 4mL (3x/day)

I don’t want to use something like chemiclean and would like to address the root cause of the issue.

Let me know if there is any additional information that would help give context and determine the issue!

Would dosing something like Microbacter7 help? The tank was started with dry rock in May 2022, so would assume it’s “mature” by now. Do I need to supplement beneficial bacteria?

IMG_7431.jpeg

NoohpyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually get green cyano when I feed too much, maybe cut back on feeding then slowly build it back up

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually get green cyano when I feed too much, maybe cut back on feeding then slowly build it back up
Thanks. Maybe I’ll dial back the live phyto. This was a recent addition to my routine about a month ago. Maybe I’m dosing too much.

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can dose microbacter, it should help, i also heard that coral snow can help.
That’s good to know! I’ll have to look into coral snow. I’ve heard it/seen it reference, but I don’t actually know what it is lol.

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a very detailed thread on it here
Thanks!

Looks like they use a combination of DIY coral snow and add Microbacter7 to the mix. Just used good ol’ Amazon and products will be arriving tomorrow.

My routine tank husbandry is on Fridays, so I’ll post an update maybe Saturday on how things went. Not sure it’s an instant fix, but if I see anything noticeable I’ll update the thread.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was started with dry rock in May 2022, so would assume it’s “mature” by now. Do I need to supplement beneficial bacteria?
Even though the aquarium is over a year old, the aquarium ecosystem seems to have taken a development path that is favoring green hair algae on the rocks and cyanobacteria (presumably) on the sand rather than coralline covered rocks and clean sand. That is just an observation. I don’t know why some aquaria take this path.

Just curious, are you dosing trace elements?

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though the aquarium is over a year old, the aquarium ecosystem seems to have taken a development path that is favoring green hair algae on the rocks and cyanobacteria (presumably) on the sand rather than coralline covered rocks and clean sand. That is just an observation. I don’t know why some aquaria take this path.

Just curious, are you dosing trace elements?
Yep! I started dosing All For Reef back in may 2023 (estimating - a little before the 2023 NY reefapalooza lol).

I dose 12mL a day now, and rocks are mostly covered in coralline. No longer have a GHA outbreak thankfully. What little GHA I do have on obscure areas is continuing to disappear.

the cyano began approximately 1-2 weeks after the GHA outbreak ended.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Looks like they use a combination of DIY coral snow and add Microbacter7 to the mix. Just used good ol’ Amazon and products will be arriving tomorrow.

My routine tank husbandry is on Fridays, so I’ll post an update maybe Saturday on how things went. Not sure it’s an instant fix, but if I see anything noticeable I’ll update the thread.
BTW give the coral snow a lot of time, as they say in the thread that it covers up places that cyano can grow

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back