Green cyano type algae!

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am all for waterchanges but how is a waterchange not substracting and adding elements. The whole point of the closed systems we call aquariums is that they are far from the big picture/realites of nature so without human intervention they will crash.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had someone give me a great suggestion on a similar thread I posted (brown, not green) to take some and see if it reacts in H2O2. If it does it's cyano, if not it's algae. Mine was algae.

IxTCxI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had someone give me a great suggestion on a similar thread I posted (brown, not green) to take some and see if it reacts in H2O2. If it does it's cyano, if not it's algae. Mine was algae.

Thanks. Any 3% hydrogen peroxide from the pharmacy should work right?

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Any 3% hydrogen peroxide from the pharmacy should work right?
That's what I used. Actually the process I was linked too was pretty complex involving diluting several tablespoons of H20@ in half gallon of water and see if after half an hour the water got discolored, but after I did that and the water stayed clear I thought "why don't I just pour straight on a funky frag plug and see if it's bacterial or not". This was not something I was planning on putting back in the tank. Here is a link to the thread I had posted.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/was-thinking-this-was-cyano-but-now-unsure.531657/

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So Chemiclean didn’t touch it! It blows right off and is not slimy. It blows off on little particles. It’s not on equipment just spots of the rock and now a lot of the sand.

I started Vibrant several days ago and so far it’s not touching it either!

This photo makes it look a bit more brown but it’s bright green.

D33E20F3-4599-4AF6-9342-0F1A14B11621.jpeg

IxTCxI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Chemiclean didn’t touch it! It blows right off and is not slimy. It blows off on little particles. It’s not on equipment just spots of the rock and now a lot of the sand.

I started Vibrant several days ago and so far it’s not touching it either!

This photo makes it look a bit more brown but it’s bright green.

D33E20F3-4599-4AF6-9342-0F1A14B11621.jpeg

Pretty sure we got the same stuff. Keep blowing it off but it keeps coming back. Have been doing WC but not seeing any difference. Help!!!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pretty sure we got the same stuff. Keep blowing it off but it keeps coming back. Have been doing WC but not seeing any difference. Help!!!

Yep!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is looking a lot better. I added a refugium about a month ago and started running GFO. My nitrates are down to 4 ppm and the phosphates are .08 ppm. The green stuff isn't nearly as thick as it was.

IxTCxI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is looking a lot better. I added a refugium about a month ago and started running GFO. My nitrates are down to 4 ppm and the phosphates are .08 ppm. The green stuff isn't nearly as thick as it was.

I currently run a turbo algae scrubber too. I think I will just wait it out. I think is due to unbalance chemistry.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run a turbo algae scrubber too. I think I will just wait it out. I think is due to unbalance chemistry.
I had let my tank get way out of wack due to not having time to spend on it. Over the last year I tried everything from biopellets to sulfur nitrate reactors. I really think the harder I tried the worse the tank looked. I finally decided to go back to the way I had success with years ago and wait it out. I figured it would take forever for the nutrients to drop but they are dropping much faster than I expected.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, phosphate/nitrates out of whack brings it on for me. It is really tough to eradicate it even by bringing parameters in line once it takes hold, so I just treat it instead.

I use API erythromycin, 1 packet per 50 gallons. The skimmer will go crazy. I usually leave the skimmer on but turned down a bit with the cup off for oxygenation. I just treat once and then put the cup back on the skimmer after a few days, with the skimmer turned way down at first. No extra water changes, just on schedule.

With a light infestation I have zero side effects. I had a heavy infestation once and did have some pretty severe bleaching - yes bleaching, not RTN or STN - of Montis, Birdsnests, and the WWC Slimeball Anacropora. It looked like light shock but it happened even in the shade. Acros were fine.

I am thinking the sudden nutrient spike or maybe toxins from the dying cyano did it. That particular time I had my skimmer off line. Some areas of the Montis did die, and I did lose my Undata altogether and had to frag my Ponape Birdsnest because the tips died and it looked bad. Everything else colored back up in a few weeks, but really worried me.

Getting nitrates and phosphates in line while dosing keeps it from coming back for me. Unless I mess up and let them get out of whack again. I have treated 4 times over the last few years, and only had the one problem.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now it’s really getting bad!!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I’ll get it looked at tomorrow and report back!

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems I/we are having the same issue in my cube. Nothing touches it. I will say though, like you Rev, my corals and my clams are loving whatever it is! No ill effects on any of the fish. I have sucked it out when doing water changes and it's still comes back. Having had some bad issues putting chemi-clean in a tank at one time and the nightmare stories here and there about Vibrant, I think we are going to let it run it's course and see what happens....bsa

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back