Green cyano type algae!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made another water change and will again tomorrow. Just going to try and beat this the old fashion way. I also have barely fed my fish in the last 2 days.

We may be dinosaurs. I tried fighting a 25 year sandbed crash in Jaubert Plenum, the “old fashion way”.

Started out with 8” sandbed and over a period of 12 months, siphoned out several hundred pounds of substrate with several thousand gallons. My back hurts from thinking back to it. A good friend, Timfish, told me to do it, but I didn’t do the most important thing that he also said to do. Energize your biofilter by feeding it. When food is scarce, the competive diversity in the tank most often favors the undesirable. If you feed your tank a desirable may awaken and graze on green cyno.

PS: I salute your Stewardship of the Light. After > 20 years of hooby forums, the knowledge & kindness on r2r is seen “far and wide”. Thank you for making that available.

For certain use UV.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has only gotten worse! I sucked out as much as I could and it all came back and worse. Came home from the Fl Frag Swap and the inline frag tank had really "bloomed!" So I turned the lights out on the frag tank for 3 days and today it is totally clear! So I have the lights out on the main and will try that for 3 days as well. I'll keep you updated.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I turned the lights back on on the frag tank and the lights off for the main tank. It's been about a day now and I already notice a huge difference in the main. You can see the algae releasing and even more interesting is how the skimmer is filtering it all out! Check how the video and how green the waste is!

Algae releasing.

Green skimmate.

IMG_2783.jpeg

IMG_2785.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can get a more magnified picture? The first pictures you posted looks like it has a little cyano but comprised mostly of something else. The second set of pictures looked a lot like spirulina. A higher magnification would help.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Chemiclean didn’t touch it! It blows right off and is not slimy. It blows off on little particles. It’s not on equipment just spots of the rock and now a lot of the sand.

I started Vibrant several days ago and so far it’s not touching it either!

This photo makes it look a bit more brown but it’s bright green.

D33E20F3-4599-4AF6-9342-0F1A14B11621.jpeg

This looks like blue/green cyano to me. Look how it's spreading like a bacteria....

3a7a99a9703532ec3fd61083a4d5ac49.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back