Green film algae on glass

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I should know what this green film algae on the glass of my display is but I can't remember. It is easily removed but returns in about 3 days. The tank has no other nuisance algae and my soft Coral have never looked nicer.

Is that green film algae beneficial in feeding the filter feeding coral or the pod population? I am thinking that I remember back in the day that may have been the case.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I should know what this green film algae on the glass of my display is but I can't remember. It is easily removed but returns in about 3 days. The tank has no other nuisance algae and my soft Coral have never looked nicer.

Is that green film algae beneficial in feeding the filter feeding coral or the pod population? I am thinking that I remember back in the day that may have been the case.
it's normal, we all seem to get that......part of the "fun" :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have enough snails you never (well almost never) have to clean the glass. :)
...guess I don't have enough snails then,,, DOH!

I'm lazy so scrape glass at water change (every 2 weeks) or when people happen to be over.

To the OP, mine's a mess by two weeks without touching it and yes I think it's normal and beneficial.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I do not mind cleaning my viewing glass every 3 days, I just wanted to make sure that this condition was normal for a mature reef. I only ever had this happen one other time and it was so long ago that I could not remember if it was when that reef was doing well or not.
Thank you @ScubaFish802 for the Algaebarn article on pods. That was helpful.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back