Green hair algae or something else?

ncfalco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about two weeks now I've been struggling with what I believe to be some kind of green hair algae. It's not terribly long and is very difficult to remove manually. My turbo snail has been eating some, but it just grows right back. My tank has been running for 2 months. My nitrates are sitting around 10ppm and my phosphates are undetectable according to the API test kit.

I tried using a Brillo pad and my fingers to remove it, but it's pretty well established. It doesn't come off in thick clumps as I've seen with other hair algae.

Can you please help me verify what this is? Also any suggestions on how to remove it?

tempImageW92Kjs.png tempImageZT7VvC.png

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are gonna just have to deal with it to be honest.

This is what happens in almost virtually every tank started with dry rock.

You can try to Scrub it but it will just come back until something else starts to outcompete it.

ronniereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with the same, it's hair algae. Parameters might be off, I got a protein skimmer and cut my feedings in half and lowered my light cycle to 6 hours. Good luck!

OP
OP
ncfalco

ncfalco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Glad that it's just green hair algae. I'm pretty sure that type is virtually harmless, just a little ugly to look at. I've ordered some Chaeto macro algae in order to start a refugium in the back of my AIO in order to hopefully outcompete it.

Do you suggest I increase the frequency of my water changes?

FernFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are gonna just have to deal with it to be honest.

This is what happens in almost virtually every tank started with dry rock.

You can try to Scrub it but it will just come back until something else starts to outcompete it.
That’s weird I started my tank with dry rock and I never got that kind of algae

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have for a cleanup crew? After years of being told to add a LOT Of SNAILS I finally listened. My latest build (in my build thread) was started with dry rock and bare bottom but I added a bunch of snails well over 100 in a 65g display along with some hermits as soon as diatoms appeared. I also have 3 large turbo snails and two tuxedo urchins that I move between tanks as needed.
I'm sure sooner or later some nuisance algae will arrive but so far I've been able to keep most at bay after about 3 months.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back