Green Hair Algae TAKEOVER

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not posted on here in months or even really given my tank much attention because of this issue. I have tried loads of different things such as vibrant, tooth brush siphon, emerald crabs, lettuce nudibranch, mexican turbos, and many more but I can’t get this GHA to go away. Any suggestions would help.. it feels like i’m running out of options but I don’t want to quit the hobby.
1FAC95E8-B188-4D70-9589-201EEAAC2EA5.jpeg

Sboling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nitrate and phosphate testing at? It’s likely a result of high phosphate.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First get your nitrate and phosphate down. I had some hair algae issues when I first started out, not as bad as yours though. I did a 3 day tank black out that got rid of it. Completely covered it in several blankets so no light could get to it. When I removed it the algae was gone. Keep an eye on your filter during this procedure if you do it. Filter socks, or whatever you use will clog quickly. There's threads on here about it. Search "tank blackout"

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black out. 3-5 days. Your corals are going to suffer, but they will anyway if covered by that algae for long. If you have the ability to remove them, hydrogen peroxide treatment on rocks will help a lot. Massive water changes, but consider the rock is likely leaching nutrients.

I’m guessing if you test nitrate and phosphate they will be low; gha uptakes quickly.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an easy rip clean this nano would be.

do this move here to fix it:

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 On top of what others have stated. But what is your lighting schedule? Do you run a lot of whites or is that just for photo?

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nitrate and phosphate testing at? It’s likely a result of high phosphate.
I’ll be honest, I haven’t tested either in a few weeks but my guess is high or ultra low because of the GHA soaking up nutrients.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First get your nitrate and phosphate down. I had some hair algae issues when I first started out, not as bad as yours though. I did a 3 day tank black out that got rid of it. Completely covered it in several blankets so no light could get to it. When I removed it the algae was gone. Keep an eye on your filter during this procedure if you do it. Filter socks, or whatever you use will clog quickly. There's threads on here about it. Search "tank blackout"
I have some quite expensive corals, will this damage them too much? How should I reintroduce them to light, should I go right back to the schedule or gradually increase the time?

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black out. 3-5 days. Your corals are going to suffer, but they will anyway if covered by that algae for long. If you have the ability to remove them, hydrogen peroxide treatment on rocks will help a lot. Massive water changes, but consider the rock is likely leaching nutrients.

I’m guessing if you test nitrate and phosphate they will be low; gha uptakes quickly.
that’s my guess as well. thank you

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would manually pull out as much as possible before trying the black out or any thing else.
I’ve got buckets full of this crap lol, i’ve pulled and pulled and pulled. I guess eventually something else will be able to take hold.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your source water too? RODI or tap?

If RODI, what is the TDS at?
RODI, TDS 0. The GHA took hold because of my own ignorance. It came in on a frag plug and the coral was encrusted on the plug so I decided to leave it in the sand to suffocate it & now it’s been a GHA safe haven for months…

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, I'd block the sunlight from that window. Sunlight is a super algae grower as you are experiencing.

Do you have any snails or CUC ( Ckesn Up Crew)? They can't eat tall GHA, but they can keep it down with enough of them. Pulling out by hand gives them a fighting chance.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, I'd block the sunlight from that window. Sunlight is a super algae grower as you are experiencing.

Do you have any snails or CUC ( Ckesn Up Crew)? They can't eat tall GHA, but they can keep it down with enough of them. Pulling out by hand gives them a fighting chance.
That’s the plan, the CUC is small because of my longnose but I’ll get larger inverts and hopefully they won’t get murdered lol

AvoidTheNoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The first thing I noticed was the tank next to a window. That will likely result in nuisance algae issues

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut it down to as close to the rock you possibly can, remove it from the tank, put a sock in your sump. Water change 40%. Add 2 Halloween urchin, 3 emerald crabs and a boat load of copepods.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back