Green hammer coral dropping babies

  • Thread starter Thread starter clown99
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

clown99

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 10, 2019
Messages
104
Reaction score
70
Location
San Jose
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mother hammer coral has been growing for 2 and 1/2 years, from 1 head to 13 heads. Today I notice a baby one on the same rock. I'm not sure when or how it was dropped.

20210214_140415_marked.jpg

About 6 months ago, another hammer polyp was dropped on the sand, not bigger than a pin head. I put in on a rock and now it is about pea-sized.
20210214_140841_marked.jpg
 
I have never seen a hammer do this, only torches.... awesome!!
 
I've had Hammers for a dozen years or so and just noticed them dropping/dripping heads. The coral seems fine, but now quite a few are doing this. If the dropped piece winds up in a dark location, it disappears in a few days. If it lands in a place where there is adequate light, it begins to grow and starts a new
Hammer.AM_InkedLI.jpg
Hammer.PM.jpg
piece of hard coral.

This is a photo in the morning with two drips circled, and a shot in the afternoon. Is this normal?
 
My hammer coral also did this. I found this out because suddenly there was a pin-size hammer coral on the sand. It was just a single polyp. Now it grew into a thumb-size head. I am guessing that maybe it thinks there's no more room to grow so it just drops polyps.
 
Very cool and interesting...i never knew they did that
 
My hammer coral also did this. I found this out because suddenly there was a pin-size hammer coral on the sand. It was just a single polyp. Now it grew into a thumb-size head. I am guessing that maybe it thinks there's no more room to grow so it just drops polyps.
The Hammers are crowding each other, so that may be the case. I've also noticed some "dropings" where the Hammer is touching the glass.
Hammer.dropping.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new