Green killing machine

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had some dinos come up knowing I messed up cleaning out the 3 chambers on my 13.5 evo completely ran new bag of carbon and filter floss. Depleted my nitrates and phos so I dosed some seachem flourish to gain back some nitrates and now running the green killing machine UV sterilizer .. any idea how long I should run it ? 48-72 hours ? It’s bulky and ugly in my tank. Thanks for any inputs

luvinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had some dinos come up knowing I messed up cleaning out the 3 chambers on my 13.5 evo completely ran new bag of carbon and filter floss. Depleted my nitrates and phos so I dosed some seachem flourish to gain back some nitrates and now running the green killing machine UV sterilizer .. any idea how long I should run it ? 48-72 hours ? It’s bulky and ugly in my tank. Thanks for any inputs
Most people run them continously. In your case I would run it till the Dinos are completly gone and then run for a few more days to be sure.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the bulky and ugly thing, but just an FYI here with this thread. Antimony issues found with GKM in the past....from what I gather just check your impeller on the unit and ensure its not starting to corrode...
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/high-antimony-found-on-triton-icp.690396/

Last edited:
OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the bulky and ugly thing, but just an FYI here with this thread. Antimony issues found with GKM in the past....
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/high-antimony-found-on-triton-icp.690396/
Thanks. I’ll probably use it for a couple days and throw it to the side. I don’t wanna use it long term just got rid of the little dinos I have in there
Most people run them continously. In your case I would run it till the Dinos are completly gone and then run for a few more days to be sure.
should I leave lights on or can I run with lights on ? I have them off right now

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely ugly but not as ugly as dinos. I believe I ran mine for about two weeks to get rid of dinos. Like others I did have antimony show up in a subsequent ICP test. The good news is that when I retested a few months later the antimony was gone.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely ugly but not as ugly as dinos. I believe I ran mine for about two weeks to get rid of dinos. Like others I did have antimony show up in a subsequent ICP test. The good news is that when I retested a few months later the antimony was gone.
Nice ..! Run it with lights or without ?

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not worth running that UV unit. Learn to get rid of Dino in a more natural way.
Yes, you can turn off your lights but you don’t need to. If you have a controllable light, just run every spectrum but RED GREEN WHITES for 1-2 weeks. Use a turkey blaster and blast the rock and sand, and Change your filter floss daily.

If you want a chemical treatment, then I’d suggest 1/2 dose of Dr Tims Wasteaway from what the bottle says to use.

Im a big fan of MB7, and dose 10ML in my tank twice a week - I haven’t had a single Dino/Algae issue since I started this practice.

Get a couple Turbo Snails

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure exactly what mine are. Not a lot just bubbly and some strings.

Difficult to ID without a microscope but my dinos showed up mostly on the tips and edges of things (nori feeder, gorgonian, frag rack, snails) and tended to form long rapid growing brown threads (like inches per hour growth), in addition to some just general brown slimy "algae" on surfaces and my glass needed to be cleaned multiple times a day. Ostreopsis will often seem to disappear after lights out. UV is typically most effective against ostreopsis since it is a dino variety that is in the water column at night.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not worth running that UV unit. Learn to get rid of Dino in a more natural way.
Yes, you can turn off your lights but you don’t need to. If you have a controllable light, just run every spectrum but RED GREEN WHITES for 1-2 weeks. Use a turkey blaster and blast the rock and sand, and Change your filter floss daily.

If you want a chemical treatment, then I’d suggest 1/2 dose of Dr Tims Wasteaway from what the bottle says to use.

Im a big fan of MB7, and dose 10ML in my tank twice a week - I haven’t had a single Dino/Algae issue since I started this practice.

Get a couple Turbo Snails
I have turbo snails I haven’t ran into issues with dinos EVER since I cleaned my back chambers on my evo 13.5 it reduced my nitrates and phosphates to 0 so I’m probably just going to does seachem flourish and feed a little more to raise those two back up

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficult to ID without a microscope but my dinos showed up mostly on the tips and edges of things (nori feeder, gorgonian, frag rack, snails) and tended to form long rapid growing brown threads (like inches per hour growth), in addition to some just general brown slimy "algae" on surfaces and my glass needed to be cleaned multiple times a day. Ostreopsis will often seem to disappear after lights out. UV is typically most effective against ostreopsis since it is a dino variety that is in the water column at night.
Yeah sounds exactly like what I’ve got going on. And it’s not overwhelming or life threatening but it is bother my zoas and I don’t want it to get out of control. It just feels like it happed right after I did my chamber cleaning put in bag of carbon and filter floss. Tank was looking pristine then shortly lately bubble brown stringy stuff showed up

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have turbo snails I haven’t ran into issues with dinos EVER since I cleaned my back chambers on my evo 13.5 it reduced my nitrates and phosphates to 0 so I’m probably just going to does seachem flourish and feed a little more to raise those two back up

I remember the day I did my water tests and nitrate and phosphate came back solid zero. I exclaimed "oh crap" right out loud lol.

Good luck with your fight. There are lots of great discussions here on R2R and some super knowledgeable dino fighters who have helped a lot of people work they way back to normal.

Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the day I did my water tests and nitrate and phosphate came back solid zero. I exclaimed "oh crap" right out loud lol.

Good luck with your fight. There are lots of great discussions here on R2R and some super knowledgeable dino fighters who have helped a lot of people work they way back to normal.

Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?
Thanks I appreciate it I won’t give up lol. There’s just several different ways going about it. I do have vibrant so I could use that in the process of getting my nitrates and phosphates back up. I dont know yet though. Currently just cleaning out what algae is in there and feeding. So we will see in the next couple days

Back