Green Moray?

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m concerned my Green Moray isn’t eating enough. I’ve had him for 16 days now. He’s eaten 3 times. He doesn’t react to the food as my other Eels do. He doesn’t get excited when food hits the water and when he does eat he shows no aggression. Kind of picks it up after nudging it a few times and slowly eats it. My other eels tare into there food. Is this normal?
When he has eaten it’s been (1) 8” octopus 4 days later a 12” squid 3 days later another 8” octopus. I would think a 4+ ft moray would eat more than that.

Thoughts opinions?
8870A9E6-0E5D-4BE7-AC3B-ED637B3C9215.jpeg
9DC2D2B4-89FD-4628-AD84-C469B7D069BD.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timeframe on this is subjective, but can be a bad sign. You may not have hit on a food he cares for yet. Octopus is one of their natural foods, BUT is the variety you are getting raw, many times octopus is cooked. If you have an Asian market you may be able to find some raw baby octopus in the frozen section. IS the food fresh, fresh squid will not have an odor but will turn pungent, they may refuse it is too pungent. You never know what the individual may like or not, I xan't emphasize enough how important fatty fish is to long term health of eels, you may want to try some whole shrimp. Also look on the Asian market, likely in the frozen section, for some silversides.

Some eels may take longer and some individuals can be picky, but you are right to be concerned as it is not normal. As long as all water parameters check out thats all you can do along with offering a variety to see what sticks. A new addition may be more sensitive to higher nitrtates than those that have gotten used to an increase over time.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timeframe on this is subjective, but can be a bad sign. You may not have hit on a food he cares for yet. Octopus is one of their natural foods, BUT is the variety you are getting raw, many times octopus is cooked. If you have an Asian market you may be able to find some raw baby octopus in the frozen section. IS the food fresh, fresh squid will not have an odor but will turn pungent, they may refuse it is too pungent. You never know what the individual may like or not, I xan't emphasize enough how important fatty fish is to long term health of eels, you may want to try some whole shrimp. Also look on the Asian market, likely in the frozen section, for some silversides.

Some eels may take longer and some individuals can be picky, but you are right to be concerned as it is not normal. As long as all water parameters check out thats all you can do along with offering a variety to see what sticks. A new addition may be more sensitive to higher nitrtates than those that have gotten used to an increase over time.
The octopus is Raw. I buy it a seafood market. The squid is whole buy it frozen at bait shop.. Shrimp , Smelt, tilapia, salmon, Cod, clams, silversides , mackerel all no interest.

My nitrates are < 30-40ppm. I do weekly 100gallon changes.

He seems really shy. When I approach the tank and open the lid he tends to disappear. (My other Eels come out.)

How much should a 4ft Moray consume in one sitting? The octopus I feed now weigh approx 14oz each and the 12” squid around 12oz each.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be to concerned yet give him another week or 2 and try a few other food items. He ate 3 times so it’s not a total hunger strike , he might just be bewildered by the new surroundings. Was he in darkness a lot befor and now in a lit tsnk?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking one of those would be fine for one feeding, which would be once a week. My 2' tessa and the small fang tooths I've kept woukd generally eat about a 1/4 lb per feeding, once a week, sometimes every 5 days. I know he's pretty thick to, so I'm thinking from 1/2 lb once a week should be fine.

Nitrates aren't extremely high but I have found around 30 to be the metric. That's for a new addition, once acclimated they really don't care. With eels its about the change, so the nitrtatrs are just a different composition that he's not used to, and it "may" affect appetite.

In 16 days, the amount you have fed him, may be in line. How often do you usually feed your eels. A green moray that size would be considered a teenager?, so in the wild he is likely only eating every 5-7 days.

Make sure your mg is at reef level, while I suggest 1400ppm for predator tanks. Mg has been known to help with digestion.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be to concerned yet give him another week or 2 and try a few other food items. He ate 3 times so it’s not a total hunger strike , he might just be bewildered by the new surroundings. Was he in darkness a lot befor and now in a lit tsnk?
He was at LFS for like 6 month I’m told. Was dark but had some lighting.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking one of those would be fine for one feeding, which would be once a week. My 2' tessa and the small fang tooths I've kept woukd generally eat about a 1/4 lb per feeding, once a week, sometimes every 5 days. I know he's pretty thick to, so I'm thinking from 1/2 lb once a week should be fine.

Nitrates aren't extremely high but I have found around 30 to be the metric. That's for a new addition, once acclimated they really don't care. With eels its about the change, so the nitrtatrs are just a different composition that he's not used to, and it "may" affect appetite.

In 16 days, the amount you have fed him, may be in line. How often do you usually feed your eels. A green moray that size would be considered a teenager?, so in the wild he is likely only eating every 5-7 days.

Make sure your mg is at reef level, while I suggest 1400ppm for predator tanks. Mg has been known to help with digestion.
I’m wondering if me trying to feed him every day is stressing him out. I just place the food in front of him. Sometimes he retreats. Sometimes he acts like it’s not there.

I treated the tank with General cure a few days ago. I know prazi does make some fish not eat.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if me trying to feed him every day is stressing him out. I just place the food in front of him. Sometimes he retreats. Sometimes he acts like it’s not there.

I treated the tank with General cure a few days ago. I know prazi does make some fish not eat.

General cure can have an affect initially. Yes if they don't eat right away pretty easily, just leave them alone. Offer food the next day, eels can go a very long time without food so it's not that big a deal. They do not have an all you can eat buffet in the wild and do benefit from less frequent meals. In captivity many people feed too often and this can detrimental in the long run. Allow him to start getting curious and more active before you offer him food again. You may just be overthinking it at this point, there is always a settling period.

Do you know anything about his eating schedule and what he was eating at the lfs.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General cure can have an affect initially. Yes if they don't eat right away pretty easily, just leave them alone. Offer food the next day, eels can go a very long time without food so it's not that big a deal. They do not have an all you can eat buffet in the wild and do benefit from less frequent meals. In captivity many people feed too often and this can detrimental in the long run. Allow him to start getting curious and more active before you offer him food again. You may just be overthinking it at this point, there is always a settling period.

Do you know anything about his eating schedule and what he was eating at the lfs.
They did say he ate regularly. But I believe like most shops they feed on occasion. They were feeding strips of squid. He’s pretty active. He’s always extended either out of the rock work or the tubes. And on occasion swims from one side of the tank to the other.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m concerned my Green Moray isn’t eating enough. I’ve had him for 16 days now. He’s eaten 3 times. He doesn’t react to the food as my other Eels do. He doesn’t get excited when food hits the water and when he does eat he shows no aggression. Kind of picks it up after nudging it a few times and slowly eats it. My other eels tare into there food. Is this normal?
When he has eaten it’s been (1) 8” octopus 4 days later a 12” squid 3 days later another 8” octopus. I would think a 4+ ft moray would eat more than that.

Thoughts opinions?
8870A9E6-0E5D-4BE7-AC3B-ED637B3C9215.jpeg
Thats a huge eel! Very pretty ☺️

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
appetite.

Well this morning he took a lg scallop pretty aggressively. ( I only had 1). Then I tried a mackerel. He didn’t seem interested. So placed it it’s mouth and he just swallowed it. Ate two that way. Is it ok to do it this way?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this morning he took a lg scallop pretty aggressively. ( I only had 1). Then I tried a mackerel. He didn’t seem interested. So placed it it’s mouth and he just swallowed it. Ate two that way. Is it ok to do it this way?

It's fine, just don't get into feeding too often. many that don't understand eels don't eat that often fret over not feeding enough. Now that he has established there's nothing wrong with his health, it's best to let him show you he's hungry and start establishing a less frequent feeding schedule. Start at around 5 days and see how he does, once a week would not be out of the question. I'm not familiar with the green moray so I don't understand his maturity at that size, as younger individuals may eat more frequently. I would still think at that size, 5 days would be a good place to start. Once he start putting the food down, some that have kept eels over 15 years even feed less frequently, every 10 days. The amount he eats in the previously feeding will dictate, as well as his activity, showing interest and aggression in eating. BUT still do not fall into feeding small frequent meals, this is very detrimental in the long run.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back