Green on Tank Glass.

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I have three Hd primes on my 75 gallon tank and I seem to be getting a green film on the tank glass. I change water once a week about 50% and I am very regular at doing it. My tank isn't near any windows and I have all three lights( Picture of tank below). Uv90, Vio90, Db100, Blue100, Green4, Red4, Cool white18. Can anyone help me with any suggestions?

15857149539083457884408363656002.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a tank emergency #MODS please move thread to aquarium discussion.

Its Phyto plankton and a normal thing to have in a reef rank. Copepods will eat it as well as your trochus and turbo snails.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry, don't know how to move my thread and unfortunately just becuase its not an emergency to some it is to me. I have had this tank for a year and never had this happen. I am trying to get some of your expertise to see if it's too much light or not the right settings. If you explain how to move my thread I will and never post in your EMERGENCY thread again.

Thanks for being nice

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry, don't know how to move my thread and unfortunately just becuase its not an emergency to some it is to me. I have had this tank for a year and never had this happen. I am trying to get some of your expertise to see if it's too much light or not the right settings. If you explain how to move my thread I will and never post in your EMERGENCY thread again.

Thanks for being nice
It wasn’t meant to be an insult, we just try to keep the forum organized.
If you’ve had it for a year and this is new then I would think your nutrients are elevated, phosphate specifically. Too much white light can also cause a phyto bloom(curtains open, new spectrum on your tank lights,etc)

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and sorry if I took it as an insult...lol... I add another HD prime and I am just not sure if the person I got my light setting from was right and if this is the problem. Water is really good and I change 50% of the entire tank weekly. I would be happy to move my post, I am sorry I am new and not sure of the site etiquette yet.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and sorry if I took it as an insult...lol... I add another HD prime and I am just not sure if the person I got my light setting from was right and if this is the problem. Water is really good and I change 50% of the entire tank weekly. I would be happy to move my post, I am sorry I am new and not sure of the site etiquette yet.
No problem at all! I’m sorry I came across abrasive, I should have led differently.
If you recently added an additional light and the phyto appeared shortly after, I would think it was that. Your clean up crew should take care of it naturally but you could try lowering the white and red in your lights and see if that helps the issue with it forming on the glass. It is normal to get that on your glass every three days or so, I just run a ‘flipper’ magnetic algae scraper over my glass twice a week to keep it clear.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your help I will give that a try. I really appreciate that you have no idea.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s entirely normal to get a thin layer on the glass. If you didn’t then, you have a problem... no need to turn down the light settings as per the advice above, that is just outright bad advice.

again, algae on glass is normal and should be present.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a magnet scrapper of some kind and clean your glass. Getting a film of algae on your glass is completely normal and nothing to panic over. Test your water and make sure your phosphate and nitrate isn't creeping up too high.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, I was concerned that I really didnt have the right light settings. I have always wondered what the best settings for the lights are. I had a guy who owns a reef store give me the settings. I panicked as soon as this started happening. You have been a great help.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wipe my glass down daily. It get green film every day. Not so bad it clouds viewing but if left unchecked for 3-4 days it's very noticeable. All my corals are very happy. If it's super clouded after a day you could have a nutrient issue.

Your lights are already setup very blue by your numbers.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s entirely normal to get a thin layer on the glass. If you didn’t then, you have a problem... no need to turn down the light settings as per the advice above, that is just outright bad advice.

again, algae on glass is normal and should be present.
I said he could lower individual spectrums if he found the algae unsightly. I was mainly recommending clean up crew take care of it. I was just giving multiple options. No need to directly attack me on a public forum @tehmadreefer . I was just trying to help the guy.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the advice is helpful I will check my nutrients to see of it's that. Should my lights be very blue? I really don't know much about the light settings. Like I said I asked a guy who owns a store and set the lights the way he said. Lol..

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said he could lower individual spectrums if he found the algae unsightly. I was mainly recommending clean up crew take care of it. I was just giving multiple options. No need to directly attack me on a public forum @tehmadreefer . I was just trying to help the guy.

Well helping the guy would give a factual answer that the green film algae is 100% completely normal, instead of messing around with lighting which isn’t the problem but can actually cause problems with coral.

Wasn’t a direct attack at all, just a correction. Trust I could say a lot more about reef squad and the advice they give at times, but I don’t.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally, a clean up crew isn’t going to do much on the glass and it will be all spotted looking with the snail trails and such, they won’t completely clean your glass. so yes good to invest in an algae scraper and just scrape it on off. Cheers!

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean for a year you didn't have Green Alage Film on your Glass.

Congrats, your tank have finally aged and starting to get Healthy.

50% Water Change on 75 Gallon Tank Weekly???? Is that Correct? Too much. 20% is the most you need to do.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you glad to know it's not my lighting and I will do the tests. I figured there wasn't much chance of it being high with the tank changes I do. Glad to know the it is normal and I will scrap the tank and do some tests. You guys have been awesome and I really appreciate it.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally, a clean up crew isn’t going to do much on the glass and it will be all spotted looking with the snail trails and such, they won’t completely clean your glass. so yes good to invest in an algae scraper and just scrape it on off. Cheers!
I agree. Snails make unsightly Cleaing Track Marks. Glass cleaner ever few days will keep you happy (except for the extra work you didn't have to do for a year).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back