Green slime algae

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

So my tank has only recently been set up, it’s about a month and a half old. I used live rock that was being baked in a bucket for about 4 months prior to setting up, it only was ghost fed, no corals or anything on it, closed system. I’ve recently had this green slime algae pop up, which I believe was on a rock I added (had a Ricordea on it), and then has started growing on the sand. It’s not on much of the rocks, only in a tiny patch. It’s quite unsightly, and grows reasonably quick. Maybe a new tank syndrome algae?

it blows off decently easily, and my snails seem a little disinterested (one strombus, one nassarius, 3 turbos, 2 astrea and 2 trochus). I’m planning on getting some more CUC soon though (stomatella/doves/turbos). Unsure whether to try a lights out, or chemiclean. I’d prefer natural method first tho since parameters are all fine

parameters are
Nitrate 5
Phos 0.04
Alk 10 (I purposefully keep high)

1ED563CE-8D59-46F8-A7A5-B8B659AB91CB.jpeg 40A6FAB0-E536-469C-9E74-940B43DBFCA3.jpeg D99969DE-59D5-44EE-985B-CCAF4FE6828B.jpeg 3C7A2A71-2B78-4E47-B62C-41BBA237634B.png

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff might be cyanobacteria which is common in a new aquarium though it’s appearance seems early in your system.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff might be cyanobacteria which is common in a new aquarium though it’s appearance seems early in your system.
It’s green tho, only seen it as red, and my nutrients seem fine. I’ve heard of green Cyanobacteria tho, it does resemble it to be fair. Any action you’d advise?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s green tho, only seen it as red, and my nutrients seem fine. I’ve heard of green Cyanobacteria tho, it does resemble it to be fair. Any action you’d advise?
Sorry, no ideas for eradication.

You are right, we read mostly about cyanobacteria being red. The same species can change color depending on light spectrum and whether its inorganic nitrogen source is ammonia or nitrate. In either case no one likes it in the aquarium.

Just out of curiosity, did you add bottled nitrifying bacteria when you started the aquarium?

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, no ideas for eradication.

You are right, we read mostly about cyanobacteria being red. The same species can change color depending on light spectrum and whether its inorganic nitrogen source is ammonia or nitrate. In either case no one likes it in the aquarium.

Just out of curiosity, did you add bottled nitrifying bacteria when you started the aquarium?
Ahh okay fair. I wonder if a blackout is in order then. I did add a bottle of Dr Tim’s for diversity. Nitrates seem low, so I wonder if that is the cause at all, or if it’s low bc it’s been consuming it

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back