1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!
Goofy Movie Hello GIF

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard! Very well thought out … and I'd say having a good plan(as you do) is a large part to having a successful tank! Folks here will definitely be able to advise you on any questions or concerns you may have! Please do keep us posted on the progress!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I’m brand new to the hobby. I’m currently working on setting up a tank. I have a 40 gallon breeder that was drilled by the local shop for drain and return (I’m not sure what the technical terms are.) I’ve also purchased another 40 gallon breeder that I’ll be using to make a sump.
I’ll be making stands for both this weekend, most likely. I’m a paraplegic, so in order for me to reach everywhere I need to reach it’s not practical to put the sump under the main tank, because it would be too high. So, I’m going to place them side by side with the sump lower. It may not look as nice, but I’ll be able to reach everything.
I’ll attempt to attach a picture of the sump build I’ll be modeling. I’m sure all of you can already tell by looking at it, but just in case (from right to left in the pic) The water flows down into a sock filter with the protein skimmer next to it, then the water pours over a bubble trap leading into the area with the return pump, leaving the refugium at the end. The return pump will send water to the tank as well as to the refugium.
This is the model the guy at the local shop recommended. If anyone has suggestions otherwise I’m open to them.
For a skimmer I’m thinking reef octopus 110, and for return pump Sicce 2.0
From what I’ve read so far those are solid choices. I’m open to other suggestions, especially if I can find high quality options and save money.
I could use suggestions on lighting, in tank circulation and anything else that comes to mind.
I’d like to eventually try my hand at both lps and sps. As far as fish, I know I want a pair of clowns. From there I would just like to get whatever I can to make the tank look great. As many different colors as possible at different levels of the tank.
I’ll end with saying anything that will save me money without sacrificing too much quality is ideal.

E28146FD-77B1-4575-B77D-FB019DEC10E9.jpeg
Welcome!

That looks great and seems like you have solid plan. There are so many 'right' options so I'll defer to others. BRS has some good videos. I've also been able to find some equipment thru local fish club which saved me some money.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome kileybob,
Great start, keep at it.
Are you planning a refugium?
sump has 3 chambers so perhaps there is room for refugium +1 vote refugium

OP
OP
K

KyleyBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got most of the stands built. Now I just need some support beams in each corner. The stand for the aquarium is 28 inches high making the total hight around 45 inches, just enough room for me to reach around. The sump stand is 20 inches. That should let gravity do it’s job. I’ve got the glass and silicone, so next up is getting the sump squared away.

Attachments

• 42649022-BFFB-417B-BB7B-6458CBDE313B.jpeg
    42649022-BFFB-417B-BB7B-6458CBDE313B.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 13

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back