Greetings and suggestions on build

KyleyBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I’m brand new to the hobby. I’m currently working on setting up a tank. I have a 40 gallon breeder that was drilled by the local shop for drain and return (I’m not sure what the technical terms are.) I’ve also purchased another 40 gallon breeder that I’ll be using to make a sump.
I’ll be making stands for both this weekend, most likely. I’m a paraplegic, so in order for me to reach everywhere I need to reach it’s not practical to put the sump under the main tank, because it would be too high. So, I’m going to place them side by side with the sump lower. It may not look as nice, but I’ll be able to reach everything.
I’ll attempt to attach a picture of the sump build I’ll be modeling. I’m sure all of you can already tell by looking at it, but just in case (from right to left in the pic) The water flows down into a sock filter with the protein skimmer next to it, then the water pours over a bubble trap leading into the area with the return pump, leaving the refugium at the end. The return pump will send water to the tank as well as to the refugium.
This is the model the guy at the local shop recommended. If anyone has suggestions otherwise I’m open to them.
For a skimmer I’m thinking reef octopus 110, and for return pump Sicce 2.0
From what I’ve read so far those are solid choices. I’m open to other suggestions, especially if I can find high quality options and save money.
I could use suggestions on lighting, in tank circulation and anything else that comes to mind.
I’d like to eventually try my hand at both lps and sps. As far as fish, I know I want a pair of clowns. From there I would just like to get whatever I can to make the tank look great. As many different colors as possible at different levels of the tank.
I’ll end with saying anything that will save me money without sacrificing too much quality is ideal.

E28146FD-77B1-4575-B77D-FB019DEC10E9.jpeg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I’m brand new to the hobby. I’m currently working on setting up a tank. I have a 40 gallon breeder that was drilled by the local shop for drain and return (I’m not sure what the technical terms are.) I’ve also purchased another 40 gallon breeder that I’ll be using to make a sump.
I’ll be making stands for both this weekend, most likely. I’m a paraplegic, so in order for me to reach everywhere I need to reach it’s not practical to put the sump under the main tank, because it would be too high. So, I’m going to place them side by side with the sump lower. It may not look as nice, but I’ll be able to reach everything.
I’ll attempt to attach a picture of the sump build I’ll be modeling. I’m sure all of you can already tell by looking at it, but just in case (from right to left in the pic) The water flows down into a sock filter with the protein skimmer next to it, then the water pours over a bubble trap leading into the area with the return pump, leaving the refugium at the end. The return pump will send water to the tank as well as to the refugium.
This is the model the guy at the local shop recommended. If anyone has suggestions otherwise I’m open to them.
For a skimmer I’m thinking reef octopus 110, and for return pump Sicce 2.0
From what I’ve read so far those are solid choices. I’m open to other suggestions, especially if I can find high quality options and save money.
I could use suggestions on lighting, in tank circulation and anything else that comes to mind.
I’d like to eventually try my hand at both lps and sps. As far as fish, I know I want a pair of clowns. From there I would just like to get whatever I can to make the tank look great. As many different colors as possible at different levels of the tank.
I’ll end with saying anything that will save me money without sacrificing too much quality is ideal.

E28146FD-77B1-4575-B77D-FB019DEC10E9.jpeg
Welcome kileybob,
Great start, keep at it.
Are you planning a refugium?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Lots of help, friends and fun here.

I have recently upgraded to a 40 breeder/ 20 gal sump. See my build thread (click on left). I have been happy with the Reef Octopus 110. It really cleans the water. I bought a Sicce 3.0 as a backup return pump and a Hydor controllable pump for primary. Suggest you go higher on the Sicce as you can tune it back if needed. I've also been happy so far with my ReefBreeder light.

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I like the flow design. I love reef octopus and sicce as well. I wouldn't over think the powerhead for flow, depending on aquascape setup. As far as lighting, there are many opinions. I personal like the LEDs, however they are expensive.

OP
OP
K

KyleyBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef, what's your budget on the lights so we can suggest one that will fit your budget.
Somewhere around the $400 range. I understand the radion xr15 are around that price and are supposed to be high quality. I’ll be starting out FOWLR, so I can add another set when I’m ready.

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere around the $400 range. I understand the radion xr15 are around that price and are supposed to be high quality. I’ll be starting out FOWLR, so I can add another set when I’m ready.
What's the dimensions of it, also what coral do you wanna put in it? I know you said sps and lps, but like are you going to try growingly mainly one thing or the other? Like lots of sps or just a few here and there?

OP
OP
K

KyleyBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the dimensions of it, also what coral do you wanna put in it? I know you said sps and lps, but like are you going to try growingly mainly one thing or the other? Like lots of sps or just a few here and there?
It’s a 40 gallon breeder. I believe it’s 36 x 17 x 18.
As far as what type I’m not really sure yet. I’m still brand new to all this.

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would suggest
It’s a 40 gallon breeder. I believe it’s 36 x 17 x 18.
As far as what type I’m not really sure yet. I’m still brand new to all this.
I would suggest 2 ai primes, for 400 you are only going to get one radion xr15. The 2 primes will allow you to grow pretty much anything you would like considering the tank isn't that deep. You will also have a better coverage because you can space the primes out instead of having one xr15 in the middle. You can usually find some good deals for some on here in the marketplace.

OP
OP
K

KyleyBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would suggest

I would suggest 2 ai primes, for 400 you are only going to get one radion xr15. The 2 primes will allow you to grow pretty much anything you would like considering the tank isn't that deep. You will also have a better coverage because you can space the primes out instead of having one xr15 in the middle. You can usually find some good deals for some on here in the marketplace.
Thanks. That was the other option I was thinking about. Sounds good to me. It looks like the stands for those are also cheaper.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back