Greetings from New Member - Old Saybrook

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just joined guys and gals.

I was an avid Reef keeper going back nearly 20 years ago. Life took me in many different directions, like raising children, etc....

My last tank was a 225 gallon mixed coral, LPS, SPS, etc.......It was back in the day when a 3"-4" sand bed was mandatory, huge ETS Protein Skimmers, 1000 watts of Metal Halide lights, VHO's, etc etc.....

I'm just catching up on the newest technology and am happy to see needle wheel Skimmers and LED lights. Between those too, it must save $200/month in electric costs. : )))

Anyway, I'm moving to Old Saybrook, from Old Lyme, and will probably set up a 180 gallon mixed coral/fish tank soon..........Look forward to some events and possibly get into fragging etc......

John / Old Saybrook, CT

OP
OP
JMetaxas

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure I do somewhere, but old fashioned photos as digital photography was quite rare back then.

Once I get my move done, I will surely look.

Right now, I'm relearning so much.......some things have changed, some not at all.

I look forward to interacting and hope to have it up and running enough to buy a few frags at the event in March.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor.gif

OP
OP
JMetaxas

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am learning is that there is still uncertainly in any one system being the ultimate way.

Nobody has seem to figured out a system that more or less guarantees success. I used to use an MTC Calcium Reactor, while some used 2 part, and some Kalkwasser...........same thing today.

The same debate still seems to ensue on nutrient levels, such as fish being good, or no good. Some seem to think feeding gives good nutrients to corals, while others want Zero Nitrates and Phosphates................it was the same discussion 20 years ago.

I'm just starting to visit the Reef based Aquarium shops in CT. I'm disappointed to see some have horrible looking tanks, with lots of algae and sick looking corals and fish....................I was at one in Milford this Thursday and it was shocking.

So, what shops do you guys recommend buying fish and corals from in CT?

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoreline pet and ocean state aquatics are the closest for us

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John, make sure to check out our local reefing club too! There's a great event happening next weekend not far from you. Welcome!

Back