OP
L

Linehand83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are TONS of lighting options out there. Just like your favorite motor oil, everyone has an opinion. I'd not be in any hurry to purchase lighting this soon in your setup. Take your time, look at prices, watch videos (BRS, YouTube, etc) and determine what is going to meet your needs at a reasonable price.
I have been lurking on here for a month or so, and have watched several BRS/you tubes…. So far pretty good mix of info.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old guy here got out 16 years ago starting back in with the 75 gallon there’s a lot of new stuff out there. I would appreciate a some lighting tips. My last tank was a 220 gallon running 4-400 metal halide‘s with some other mixed lighting. Not looking to break the bank. Been looking at a lot of lights online and Amazon, bulk reef supply. I would appreciate anybody’s input. The good the bad the ugly. And anybody with algae turf scrubber, reef racer, dump bucket, design by Morgan Lidster. Inland aquatics Terre Haute, Indiana I would like to find one again. Currently working on a new stand not quite done yet but you’re going to get the idea of what I’m using for a tank. Planning on a mixed tank little SPS little leathers, etc. a few nice fish I am currently culturing about 90 pounds of real reef rock not man-made and I plan on running about a 3 inch sand bed.

7F49E6C6-DE9A-4423-9FAB-0F560EA97B9C.jpeg

Welcome and welcome back to the hobby! Glad you joined. lLghting has been one of the significant improvements since you were in hobby, and since there are so many options, I'll defer to others.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). Its never too early and what you have above with that great photo is even enough to get started!

This might help you find people local to you in Danville:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! There are so many lighting possibilities out there today that a recommendation is difficult. Plus, there are new units being released all the time. The good news is that today's LED lights are very flexible so they can grow and shrink with your needs. They also don't heat your entire home like the MHs did. Most of the name brand, and some of the much-less-expensive brand, LEDs allow you to control multiple units from one app/controller. That can be useful especially if you think you may upsize later on. Adding units is only adding units not adding timers/etc, I would spend a little more and get units that have multiple channels and scheduling as it is just easier to get a light that works for your tank today and down the road.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back