Greetings from northern Michigan

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me first say a big thanks to BRS TV. Without Randy and Ryan I would still be keeping only fish. Having said that I’ve had saltwater tanks before either one of them were born. My father, brothers and I had an aquarium store in Silver Springs Maryland in the 70s thru the early 90s. It was called “Aquariums Terrariums and Things”. I specialized in salt water fish. We had over 500 gallons of saltwater tanks, which was pretty big at the time. During that time I had the pleasure of working with Dr. Walter Adey at the Smithsonian Institution on his early coral reef tank algae scrubber systems. He was really a genius but that’s a different story. In 1984 I left the store and stopped having saltwater aquarium‘s when I entered medical school. I then got married to a wonderful woman and raised four children in beautiful northern Michigan. About three years ago when we became empty-nesters I thought it was time to get back into saltwater. The idea of keeping Corals alive when I first got into saltwater was only done by a select few, now it’s done all over. I was really at a loss as to how to understand all the things that had changed in the hobby since I last had a tank. I had visited Tropicorium outside of Detroit so I knew things had really advanced. Then I discovered BRS TV on You Tube. They’re 52 weeks of Reefing plus hundreds of other videos has really brought me up to speed. It’s like having a college education for free. So now I have 75 gallon tank with sump and Chaeto fuge. I recently finished a negative space aquascape following the directions of BRS TV. I’m just beginning to add corals and look forward continuing to advance in a hobby that I have enjoyed for decades. Reef2Reef has also been invaluable in answering my many questions. Thanks to everyone for sharing and Hello!

E51EAA6D-7D93-478F-8A0D-378C5EECAA36.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I would love to hear the stories about Dr. Adey someday!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back