View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome officially to Reef2Reef @chakacris !*

1460837541958.jpg

Ill copy paste it from the thread i already started sorry XD:

Hi everyone, I need some help.
For the longest time my tank has been a zoa killing machine, every time i try one it goes really well for a couple of weeks and then all the way down from there, never seen eggs, nudys or spiders, check almost every night with a small flashlight, mushrooms and one paly I have have done great since day 1 over 3 years ago.

I do water changes with natural seawater, before use filter with carbon, gfo and a UV.

Just in case spent the last year without a single zoa to kill any specific predators.

2 maybe 3 weeks ago my lfs sold me a beautiful rock with palys and zoas in it, full of palys and about 12 beautyfull zoas, less than 1$, a steal right? well everything went well about 1 week and the zoas started to close, checked every single thing i could and everything is fine, once again stumped, reading and reading and i realized the one thing i have never checked is my instant ocean hydrometer, i know they are crap but this is Venezuela, refractometers are rare.

Went to the lfs i bought the rock and tried their water, my hydrometer said 1.022!!!, tried multiple times, still 1,022, now i know two things: first i need a new hydrometer, found a glass floating one, at least those are way better. second, i need to get my water to 1.022 on my hydrometer FAST while I buy the floating one.

same day go to another store i have bought coral from, tested theirs, 1.021, multiple times again, 1.021, ok let’s get moving, have an aquarium to save!... saw a rock with yellow parazoanthus and a Kenya tree, i know how to kill the tree if i need to and I love that zoa, how much? 0.50 USD, SOLD!

Started dripping RO water 1 drop a sec, took 4 days but now i am at 1.0215. (Remember my hydrometer is off, this is the value a good reef has on it).

Yellow parazoa is doing great, Kenya tree doing great, palys doing great, zoas with the palys still closed, i think i should do something.

My ideas are:

1.- take SOME zoas off the stone in case the palys went aggressive with the change of tank, separate the zoas to another part of the tank.

2.- take ALL zoas off the stone in case the palys went aggressive with the change of tank, separate the zoas to another part of the tank.

BOTH mean taking them off of the stone soflty and gluing them to a small rock (i have dead coral dry and completely white for this). Saltwater dip in iodine?

3.- dip the piece and wait and see.

4.- wait and see.

what would you advice?

another thing, how would you dip? in freshwater o saltwater? i have both perixide and iodine, how would you do it? how much time?

ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: around 25
PH: 8-8.5
Kh: 9
Po: 1
Cu: 0

The first picture is the say the Paly/Zoa rock got in here, second picture is both today.

DSC05992.JPG

DSC06013.JPG

I should add my tank has a 140w Wattshine led (120w from the power supplies, 60w and 60w) blue channel 75%, white channel 25%.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0776MVZ8H/ref=twister_B077BQFFFP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully you find a more accurate way to measure salinity.This could be the issue at hand.Never underestimate salinity.
I agree with @WWIII .The colony looks like they are reaching for the light.If you decide to dip,I would start with iodine.In addition,the Nitrates are low.The zoas May be starving.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back