Greetings!

chakacris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings everyone from Venezuela! my name is Cristian Sanchez and I have a nano since 3 years ago, started as many with FW about 25 years ago. I always read the fourm but never needed an account until now, most question have kind of answered already so didn’t want to bother. I have a "little" issue now regarding my zoas, I think I should post it in the zoa part of the forum, anyway, thank you all for having me!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor.gif
#welcometor2r

OP
OP
chakacris

chakacris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill copy paste it from the thread i already started sorry XD:

Hi everyone, I need some help.
For the longest time my tank has been a zoa killing machine, every time i try one it goes really well for a couple of weeks and then all the way down from there, never seen eggs, nudys or spiders, check almost every night with a small flashlight, mushrooms and one paly I have have done great since day 1 over 3 years ago.

I do water changes with natural seawater, before use filter with carbon, gfo and a UV.

Just in case spent the last year without a single zoa to kill any specific predators.

2 maybe 3 weeks ago my lfs sold me a beautiful rock with palys and zoas in it, full of palys and about 12 beautyfull zoas, less than 1$, a steal right? well everything went well about 1 week and the zoas started to close, checked every single thing i could and everything is fine, once again stumped, reading and reading and i realized the one thing i have never checked is my instant ocean hydrometer, i know they are crap but this is Venezuela, refractometers are rare.

Went to the lfs i bought the rock and tried their water, my hydrometer said 1.022!!!, tried multiple times, still 1,022, now i know two things: first i need a new hydrometer, found a glass floating one, at least those are way better. second, i need to get my water to 1.022 on my hydrometer FAST while I buy the floating one.

same day go to another store i have bought coral from, tested theirs, 1.021, multiple times again, 1.021, ok let’s get moving, have an aquarium to save!... saw a rock with yellow parazoanthus and a Kenya tree, i know how to kill the tree if i need to and I love that zoa, how much? 0.50 USD, SOLD!

Started dripping RO water 1 drop a sec, took 4 days but now i am at 1.0215. (Remember my hydrometer is off, this is the value a good reef has on it).

Yellow parazoa is doing great, Kenya tree doing great, palys doing great, zoas with the palys still closed, i think i should do something.

My ideas are:

1.- take SOME zoas off the stone in case the palys went aggressive with the change of tank, separate the zoas to another part of the tank.

2.- take ALL zoas off the stone in case the palys went aggressive with the change of tank, separate the zoas to another part of the tank.

BOTH mean taking them off of the stone soflty and gluing them to a small rock (i have dead coral dry and completely white for this). Saltwater dip in iodine?

3.- dip the piece and wait and see.

4.- wait and see.

what would you advice?

another thing, how would you dip? in freshwater o saltwater? i have both perixide and iodine, how would you do it? how much time?

ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: around 25
PH: 8-8.5
Kh: 9
Po: 1
Cu: 0

The first picture is the say the Paly/Zoa rock got in here, second picture is both today.

DSC05992.JPG

DSC06013.JPG

I should add my tank has a 140w Wattshine led (120w from the power supplies, 60w and 60w) blue channel 75%, white channel 25%.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0776MVZ8H/ref=twister_B077BQFFFP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
chakacris

chakacris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, my hydrometer its off, and when i tested in my lfs aquariums wich are thriving my hydrometer said 1.022, wich means when it said 1.026 in my tank could be really high arround 1.028-30 maybe (most likelly i dropped the ball in my daily manual top off), i didnt test my seawater because well, its seawater that i pick myself in a bay with a reef i always dive in and i know its in good shape.

OP
OP
chakacris

chakacris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh I see. Man I'm stumped, maybe someone else has some ideas? Can you get a triton test in Venezuela?

not that i knwo of :(, i asked a friend who travels over to the US from time no time next time take with him a sample of my water and send it to triton to at least test for contaminants.
maybe since the palys are so high they are shadowing the zoas from flow?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back