Gregory's biocube 32

gregoryreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all my fellow reefers, I made a post about my startup not too long ago. I started my tank on July 14th of this year I haven't had many issues until now. I am having a problem with hair algae and an orangey-brown tint that covers my sandbed. I assume it is from the light, I am currently using the stock light that comes with the cube any suggestions to help fight off these algae attacks? I do a 10 gal water change once a month. I have a product from the red sea called "algae management" I've done two dose's of 2 ml so far 24 hours apart from each other.

I do have a hydra 32 HD for my tank I'm just waiting to build a plexiglass lid so my fire goby doesn't jump out. I am not using a protein skimmer at the moment I do have a costume one that I've made using a Hydor 65 but I am waiting to remove the lid before adding this to the tank

salinty - 1.024
ph- 7.82
temp- 25 C
calcium - 200 ppm
phosphates - 27 ppb
alkility- 32 ppm

Current Set-up
Bio cube 32 stand
Bio cube 32 tank
Intank media basket with pourest rock
Heater
Media sock

Live Stock
A fire goby - fish
1 Hammer - lps coral
1 bubble tip - anemone
2 Kenya tree - soft coral
1 pulsing xenia - soft coral
1 rasta zoa frag
1 candy cane - lps coral

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics under white lights would be helpful but sounds like orange stuff may be diatoms and hair algae, either too much lights or lights on long.
Reduce white light intensity and is this tank by chance at or near a window?

OP
OP
gregoryreeftank

gregoryreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics under white lights would be helpful but sounds like orange stuff may be diatoms and hair algae, either too much lights or lights on long.
Reduce white light intensity and is this tank by chance at or near a window?
ill add a picture in the morning under the white light! and yes it is just below a window but I keep the blinds closed all day. do you have any suggestions on how long I should run the lights for? I cant tone them down as they're the stock lights in the hood of the tank. I will be using my hydra 32's soon in which ill be able to tone down the intensity

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
10 hrs per day and you’d be surprised at the power of UV even with binds or shades closed,.
May be your main culprit
Place black construction paper on the side that faces window
You may be mighty surprised at the results thereafter

Turnage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy. I have a biocube 32 myself and have had to battle green hair algae in the past. This is what I use and have had great success. Please note, follow the directions to the letter. You can grab this stuff off Amazon.
PXL_20210908_034644492.jpg

OP
OP
gregoryreeftank

gregoryreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 hrs per day and you’d be surprised at the power of UV even with binds or shades closed,.
May be your main culprit
Place black construction paper on the side that faces window
You may be mighty surprised at the results thereafter
okay ill most definitely cover the window with some back paper thank you again!

OP
OP
gregoryreeftank

gregoryreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy. I have a biocube 32 myself and have had to battle green hair algae in the past. This is what I use and have had great success. Please note, follow the directions to the letter. You can grab this stuff off Amazon.
PXL_20210908_034644492.jpg
thank you for the tips I don't know if I can get that product in Canada though they've put a bunch of restrictions on reef supplies here... did you ever encounter diatoms in your bio cube?

OP
OP
gregoryreeftank

gregoryreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an update photo with the white light on as you can see the algae growing on the rock and the orangey brown coloration in the sand. Any advice is appreciated!
77635B0A-7CC7-4597-B685-27E92FF548C4.jpeg

Attachments

• FFB54018-DF19-4AEB-AC2B-33750E9B324D.jpeg
    FFB54018-DF19-4AEB-AC2B-33750E9B324D.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 35

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's phosphates in the rocks and trapped in the sand either completely clean the sand or better yet delete it completely as I did and run a phosphate remover and step up you water changes to remove it from the rocks I have the stock lights also and all lights are at full power even moon for 10 hours a day

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 2 years see my thread for most recent pics and complete rundown would snap one now but in the middle of a water change

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sry but I get sick of people saying it's the lights it is not just the lights the window I agree with completely also any led lights in the room don't help either as in ceiling lights but it's not just the lights and the stick lights are perfect

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also take off the plastic cover and clean the inside if you have not recently do this once a month or so the fan pulls dust into it and it builds up changing the spectrum slightly which can attribute to the brown

xtravism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting can be a big thing tho cause I’ve noticed it to be almost gone when my lights first turn on and back within a few hours of them being on I have my lights right now at only full intensity for about 6 hours and 15 minutes probably gonna dial it down that xtra 15 as well now. I dont see how people do tanks with no sand I think the sand adds to the elegance of the tank and plus it’s part of your bio media in my opinion. But definitely get your ph to at least 8. And I just started running chemipure blue in my tank curious at how it will help on my algae cause my tank is definitely battling the ugly stage I might do a 8 gallon water change here soon and that’s another thing you wanna keep up with your water changes at most once a week and at the minimum every other. In my opinion it’s the biggest thing on having a stable tank. I’ve been doing 4 gallons once a week since after like the first 3 weeks of my tank cycling. I’m a little over week 6 now. Pic of my tank from like 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• DDD7B2A8-47A5-497B-928A-31DD32C6ED68.jpeg
    DDD7B2A8-47A5-497B-928A-31DD32C6ED68.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
gregoryreeftank

gregoryreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started up this tank and it’s journey of ups and downs and the beginning of this summer. Now that it’s closing in on the end of the year the tank is starting to settle into its life cycle. After overcoming a lot of the pests is reefing hobbies encounter such as, dinos, hair algae , and velvet. As you may notice I haven’t added any new fish into the tank as ive noticed the stability has been a lot more neutral since the fish have been gone. (I do plan on getting a hand full of new fish in the future though.) In the last few months I’ve made some physical changes to the tank setup as-well (thanks to a-lot of you guys and your feedback, much appreciated!) having an ATO, phosphate removers , better light settings, and blacking out the window behind the tank. I’ve finally been able to actually appreciate my bio cube for what it is. WEEKLY Testing of water parameters & water changes are a great way to keep your tank at in its best state as you can see what levels are too high, too low, or just right.
Happy reefing

Attachments

• 9E4D4F93-2C9F-4FBE-9DAE-945BF57B8951.jpeg
    9E4D4F93-2C9F-4FBE-9DAE-945BF57B8951.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 32
Back