OP
OP
C

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the bump. Here is a picture I took at the same time. The colors are a little washed out, I will get a better picture soon.
20150827_171904_zps1c7ujxfp.jpg

20150827_171819_zps9ssn9zho.jpg

OP
OP
C

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little background information. A few years ago I saw a blue and yellow grouper which I regret not buying, I embedded a picture below. I am getting my large system back up and want to get this fish. I asked my fish store if the grouper is available. He told me that they have something called a gold and blue grouper. He told me he will order it and if I want it take it, if I don't leave it. The fish had no scientific name or collection point. I went back the next day to check out their order and it wasn't the grouper I wanted. It was still pretty cool and I figured it was destiny bring us together so I bought it. I have my suspicion on what it is but I don't want to influence anyone.

The grouper I was looking for.

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my first guess as to what it was but i dont think it is. The body seems a little bit off to be one.

OP
OP
C

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure whatever type of grouper it is, but I am pretty sure it is leucistic.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a v-tail grouper, but looks very bleached out. They are moody, once they know you they don't hide at all. They are great groupers, they get BIG, 90 gal tank is good size, 55 gal is ok. I had for about 7 years, lost him and his buddies due to an ice storm back in the day.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little background information. A few years ago I saw a blue and yellow grouper which I regret not buying, I embedded a picture below. I am getting my large system back up and want to get this fish. I asked my fish store if the grouper is available. He told me that they have something called a gold and blue grouper. He told me he will order it and if I want it take it, if I don't leave it. The fish had no scientific name or collection point. I went back the next day to check out their order and it wasn't the grouper I wanted. It was still pretty cool and I figured it was destiny bring us together so I bought it. I have my suspicion on what it is but I don't want to influence anyone.

The grouper I was looking for.

Blue cod grouper, I haven't seen one of those since 1997, I will try to find you a scientific name, I have some books in storage. They get huge in aquariums, I worked in an aquarium shop in the '90's the fish was 20"+.

OP
OP
C

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. It does look like stress colors like your picture. I don't think it is a Vtail because it has blue dots instead of white and doesn't have the tail markings. His tail and fins are yellow

It is hard to get a good picture. He stays in his Buddha head and only comes out to eat. He is quick.
Here is a video. I tried to screen shot the video to get a picture. As I said before he is quick.

The cod grouper scientific name is Epinephelus flavocaeruleus. Someone posted this picture they took in India yesterday. That fish should be in my tank not a fish market.
image.jpg

Screenshot_2015-10-06-18-07-12.png
Screenshot_2015-10-06-18-06-10.png

Last edited:

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. It does look like stress colors like your picture. I don't think it is a Vtail because it has blue dots instead of white and doesn't have the tail markings. His tail and fins are yellow

It is hard to get a good picture. He stays in his Buddha head and only comes out to eat. He is quick.
Here is a video. I tried to screen shot the video to get a picture. As I said before he is quick.

The cod grouper scientific name is Epinephelus flavocaeruleus. Someone posted this picture they took in India yesterday. That fish should be in my tank not a fish market.
image.jpg

Screenshot_2015-10-06-18-07-12.png
Screenshot_2015-10-06-18-06-10.png

He may be a Miniatus but V-tails have some blue too. Your lights are too bright, remove Buddah and get a clay pot and break in half for a cave or make a cave from base rock or any SW safe rock. He will get used to you faster. Feed him krill and silversides, he will color up faster.

OP
OP
C

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still the same color. He comes out twice between the 2:25 mark and 3:35 mark. No need to watch the rest of the video.I just took this video.

He still looks like he does in this video except with blue dots. I am pretty convinced he is not showing red pigmentation, which is pretty cool.

Last edited:

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is too bright, he won't color up because he's trying to blend with his background. Cover back of tank with something black and dim lights. what are H2O conditions? If NO3 is really high, get below 50 ppm. I see a brackish H2O fish present, what is salinity?

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights have nothing to do with him coloring up. I work with lots of groupers and they dont dull there color because of being in a too bright area. I think he just has a albino or some sort of different grouper. Even if his color was dulling it wouldnt be pure white as how it looks on the video

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks like he is stressed. Ultimate coloration may not come out until he's not stressed.

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a juvenile Bluespotted Hind ( Cephalopholis cyanostigma ). A lot of groupers go through a color transformation as they get older making it difficult to ID, also depending on where it was caught, some specimens of the same species may look completely different. And lights can effect the color of the fish, groupers prefer subdued lighting, if they're not used to it, it will stress them out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back