Grouper ID

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been keeping SW fish for 35 years, dude is stressed from his environment. I kept groupers, eels and lionfish many years. Groupers come from and hunt in dark places, even reef groupers, they hunt at dusk. Do your habitat research before you buy a pet.

OP
OP
C

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light fixture is 75 watts. Only half of the lights turn on and they run at 20%. There is ~7 watts being used. I think the grouper will be fine.

Maybe a juvenile Bluespotted Hind ( Cephalopholis cyanostigma ). A lot of groupers go through a color transformation as they get older making it difficult to ID, also depending on where it was caught, some specimens of the same species may look completely different. And lights can effect the color of the fish, groupers prefer subdued lighting, if they're not used to it, it will stress them out.

I wish I could like this post more then once. It looks exactly like a transitioning blue spotted grouper. It still has the yellow fins but the body is starting to change color and get the blue spots. The fish store got another one in last week and I was able to get a good picture. This is exactly how mine looks.

Been keeping SW fish for 35 years, dude is stressed from his environment. I kept groupers, eels and lionfish many years. Groupers come from and hunt in dark places, even reef groupers, they hunt at dusk. Do your habitat research before you buy a pet.

Groupers come from bright places and sometimes they hang out in dark areas such as caves. Sometimes you will see them in shallow open water with the sun beating down on them. I have seen this with my aquarium groupers and seen it while diving. I provided my grouper with many places to hide such as a few statues and macro algae. He will stay in the statue most of the time with his head popping out. The same way I see Cephalopholis act in the wild.

You want to talk about creating a stressful environment. Complain to the guy who things it is OK to keep a v tail grouper in a 55 gallon tank. That is unethical. I guess people of different views on what is ethical.

The guy who is suggesting a 55 gallon for a v tail grouper is the same guy who stated that I should remove my Buddha statues which the grouper likes to hang out in. Then replace them with broken flower pots which do not provide nearly the cover, sense of security and protection from light just so he has fewer places of refuge and has a hard time hiding. I try to give my fish the optimal most stress free environment I can. If the fish feels more secure and less stress in a statue I am happy for the fish. Telling me to take away my pets shelter and area were he feels safe just so I can get a better picture of it is cruel and insensitive.

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I could help, beautiful fish, I believe they get around 14" fully grown. I understand why people may think it's stressed out from it being so pale, but in my experience groupers tend to try to blend in with their environment and since your tank is mainly lighter shades, that's probably what it's doing. In the video it does appear paler than normal, I'm assuming it was right after you put it into your tank, bc other than color, it looks perfectly healthy. It's breathing normal and also giving that molly a warning that it's too close to home. Not sure the size of your tank, but a minimum of 150G should be just fine for it.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light fixture is 75 watts. Only half of the lights turn on and they run at 20%. There is ~7 watts being used. I think the grouper will be fine.

I wish I could like this post more then once. It looks exactly like a transitioning blue spotted grouper. It still has the yellow fins but the body is starting to change color and get the blue spots. The fish store got another one in last week and I was able to get a good picture. This is exactly how mine looks.

Groupers come from bright places and sometimes they hang out in dark areas such as caves. Sometimes you will see them in shallow open water with the sun beating down on them. I have seen this with my aquarium groupers and seen it while diving. I provided my grouper with many places to hide such as a few statues and macro algae. He will stay in the statue most of the time with his head popping out. The same way I see Cephalopholis act in the wild.

You want to talk about creating a stressful environment. Complain to the guy who things it is OK to keep a v tail grouper in a 55 gallon tank. That is unethical. I guess people of different views on what is ethical.

The guy who is suggesting a 55 gallon for a v tail grouper is the same guy who stated that I should remove my Buddha statues which the grouper likes to hang out in. Then replace them with broken flower pots which do not provide nearly the cover, sense of security and protection from light just so he has fewer places of refuge and has a hard time hiding. I try to give my fish the optimal most stress free environment I can. If the fish feels more secure and less stress in a statue I am happy for the fish. Telling me to take away my pets shelter and area were he feels safe just so I can get a better picture of it is cruel and insensitive.

I'm out, no more suggestions from me, good luck:)

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do we always count out albinos? I know albino fish are rare in this hobby but they do occur. To the op it's a grouper and just plan on it getting big lol If it starts not eating then be worried.

D block

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think albinos have no color and this fish has some color and missing others. Not positive though.

Why do we always count out albinos? I know albino fish are rare in this hobby but they do occur. To the op it's a grouper and just plan on it getting big lol If it starts not eating then be worried.

Any updates

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back