Growing out large torch colony...

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large torch. it's probably like 20+ heads. Some of the heads seem to be in bad spots.How do I make sure it keeps growing? Does it need regular trimming/fragging to expose the heads/thin it out? Whats the best way to make it huge?

Ive notices the necks of the heads are very thin and fragile. I imagine it auto frags in the wild but have no idea

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see the 20+ head Torch myself to get an idea on how much bigger my 14 head torch will get. To get an idea on how big this guy is, the green Wall Frogspawn to the left of the Torch is 5.5" in length.

OP
OP
forestsofkelp

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 (2).jpg
I will admit it may not have *that* many heads. It has a lot though and it is starting to self shade

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like colonies have the potential to get pretty big.

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like colonies have the potential to get pretty big.
I don't know why but my first thought was like "OMG that's like $2M worth of torches" :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
forestsofkelp

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me. I have some heads retract on one on my larger torches but I wouldn’t worry.
thanks. I feel like every time I examine it it has new heads that I havent seen and some retract. I had some hammers that had heads die out from the density being too high.

I should actually count the heads but I am worried I'd break it...

OP
OP
forestsofkelp

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why but my first thought was like "OMG that's like $2M worth of torches" :face-with-tears-of-joy:
haha they are "21 tails" torches without me noticing in the last year. I moved them to a new spot and they just went insane with PE.

Only issue is the necks on them are so thin I broke them off their base once and have broke a few heads...which I glue back or placed somewhere else. But its fortunately done well in my tank!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha they are "21 tails" torches without me noticing in the last year. I moved them to a new spot and they just went insane with PE.

Only issue is the necks on them are so thin I broke them off their base once and have broke a few heads...which I glue back or placed somewhere else. But its fortunately done well in my tank!
I've got the same issue with a hammer colony. It broke off the frag plug a long time ago and is just sitting between two rocks. I recently tried to move it and the hammers to the left in the pic is the result. I noticed like you the stalks were very skinny. I've wondered if it was a calcium issue since mine usually runs in the low 300's because I rarely dose it and only do a couple of water changes a year.

IMG_4596.jpg

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the same issue with a hammer colony. It broke off the frag plug a long time ago and is just sitting between two rocks. I recently tried to move it and the hammers to the left in the pic is the result. I noticed like you the stalks were very skinny. I've wondered if it was a calcium issue since mine usually runs in the low 300's because I rarely dose it and only do a couple of water changes a year.

IMG_4596.jpg
What is your alkalinity at?

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4596.jpg
It’s definitely a calcium /mg issue. A couple water changes a year with great growth like that. I wouldn’t change a thing besides boost the calcium.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer was 54 heads and I cut it up a couple months ago to 15 heads. The flow in the tank was being impeded.

It was just wedged between rocks it was so heavy.
Each head will just grow out and split. I didn't worry about the ones under the colony with low light.

OP
OP
forestsofkelp

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason I asked is because usually a higher alk and ph will lead to faster growth but brittle skeletons in sps and LPS
Interesting. I run my alk at 9.5. Maybe I’ll drop it to 8 or 8.5

I took a pic last night with lights off , it def > 20 heads I think. A lot of them are splitting 3!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 80

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back