Grumpy Duncan or problem? Emergency?

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any inverts that are harassing it for food? I have a fire shrimp that hangs out in my duncan corner and he regularly dances over their heads. They don't particularly like that.

OP
OP
SaltLifeMom

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank parameters are having big swings tbh . What is the salinity of the water ? How do you top off?? You say in original post the pH is 9.2 is that a typo ?
Here's some Apex data. I am having some fluctuations, but I'm not sure if they would be considered big or not. If so, im not sure how to improve that. I have an ATO and a 5 stage RODI system to make the RODI. Salinity abg is 1.024

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231228_091702_APEXFusion.jpg
    Screenshot_20231228_091702_APEXFusion.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20231228_091609_APEXFusion.jpg
    Screenshot_20231228_091609_APEXFusion.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20231228_091532_APEXFusion.jpg
    Screenshot_20231228_091532_APEXFusion.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231227_182409.jpg
    20231227_182409.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
SaltLifeMom

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any inverts that are harassing it for food? I have a fire shrimp that hangs out in my duncan corner and he regularly dances over their heads. They don't particularly like that.
I haven't seem that, and I've gotten up throughout the night to see if there's anything going on at night that I wasn't aware of.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns and my duncan are in love. I used to feed mine mysis, great feeding response but the growth has been explosive and mine is not branching, I need to figure out how to frag a baseball shape. It’s been a while, mine is going on 2 years, but mine has closed tight a couple of times for days (week?) for no apparent reason and then just went back to itself, while my more difficult lps were not affected.
F4EEC28D-CBB1-43F8-817D-FCC950C72B8B.jpeg
C8F23C8D-AB3B-48E9-ACD3-CF0B308E8FFC.jpeg

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I've had my Duncan for over a year. He's weathered a move to a new city and now has 9 heads, from 1. He's always looked like a huge sun, beautifully spread out. I was out of town for about a week, so was a week behind on my normal bi monthly 5 gallon water change (I have a 25g cube waterbox penninsula). I have an Apex triton and my levels were consistent while I was away (Calcium 540, alk 9, Mag 1300, PH 9.2 all very normal for my tank). I tested phosphate and it was .03, a little lower for my tank but just by a little. Nitrate with Hanna checker read 65, which is crazy for my tank (typically run around 20, I know most say that's high but that's normal for my tank for at least a year, I don't know why). I retested and Hanna checker said 43 nitrate, do that was odd.

Did a 5 gallon waterchange, did some normal vacuuming and glass cleaning. Spot fed corals.

The next day, the Duncan was open but tentacles were stubby. Wierd for him but I've seen it before, usually after a big meal or when growing a new head. The same look the next day. This morning, he was about the same so I took a magnifying glass and looked for any brown spots or anything off. Skeleton looks clear but I koticed a few tentacles where there was a black pinpoint of black on the tip. By the time I got home from work, 9 hours later, all heads are totally retracted.

I've been scouring the forums and internet and I get that Duncan's can be moody. But he's never totally retracted and I'm nervous about the few black tips.

Thoughts? I'll post a before pic of him, a this morning pic and a 9 hr later pic. Thanks for your ideas!

20231025_165203.jpg 20231221_100120.jpg 20231221_194259.jpg
The tissue looks a little concerning, but my duncan experience is limited to the 1 that I have. Looka like its not covering the skeleton

My duncan's tissue covers the entire skeleton, the plug its on and the rick the plug is on.

Do you feed it? Just wondering if that's why there isn't tissue spreading down from the heads, I feed mine heavily.

It may not be an issue at all.

Edit: mine closes up and acts funny when its sprouting new heads. The behavior you describe wouldn't worry me at all, unless it was also paired with tissue recession, or goes on for an extended period.

OP
OP
SaltLifeMom

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tissue looks a little concerning, but my duncan experience is limited to the 1 that I have. Looka like its not covering the skeleton

My duncan's tissue covers the entire skeleton, the plug its on and the rick the plug is on.

Do you feed it? Just wondering if that's why there isn't tissue spreading down from the heads, I feed mine heavily.

It may not be an issue at all.

Edit: mine closes up and acts funny when its sprouting new heads. The behavior you describe wouldn't worry me at all, unless it was also paired with tissue recession, or goes on for an extended period.
Hi, I target feed mysis twice a week. Tissue is concerning to me too.

OP
OP
SaltLifeMom

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left to right is current vs a week ago. I see def tissue regression and bone lines?

Attachments

• received_1850396922060368.jpeg
    received_1850396922060368.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 18
  • received_658583613110596.jpeg
    received_658583613110596.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 19
  • received_2120331401637163.jpeg
    received_2120331401637163.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 22

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left to right is current vs a week ago. I see def tissue regression and bone lines?
I guess if I was in your position, I would start dosing more aminos and double check for water quality issues. ( i dose them a lot already), see if its a nutrient issue. But I honestly don't know enough about coral yet to know why this would happen.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be something bacterial going on. Tissue recession is a concern, seems to be getting worse.
An iodine dip shouldn’t hurt, if you have a bottle of Lugol’s or other iodine product. I have had good results using lugol’s on fleshy LPS to stop tissue recession. May need more than one dip.

If it is bacterial antibiotics could be an option. Other than mixing up some ciprofloxacin from old dog meds and dipping rtn acropora frags,I have no experience.

Another option is to frag it. Cut the skeleton through the good tissue removing the receding edges. Looks to be too far gone to get good tissue. A dremel with a diamond cutting wheel works well if it comes down to it.

IME Duncan are hearty and almost indestructible. I was cutting frags and I dropped one on the floor. Waited to get it then couldn’t find it. Finally found it about an hour later in the backyard. One of the dogs picked it up and crushed it. Glued it to a plug and it survived.

OP
OP
SaltLifeMom

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be something bacterial going on. Tissue recession is a concern, seems to be getting worse.
An iodine dip shouldn’t hurt, if you have a bottle of Lugol’s or other iodine product. I have had good results using lugol’s on fleshy LPS to stop tissue recession. May need more than one dip.

If it is bacterial antibiotics could be an option. Other than mixing up some ciprofloxacin from old dog meds and dipping rtn acropora frags,I have no experience.

Another option is to frag it. Cut the skeleton through the good tissue removing the receding edges. Looks to be too far gone to get good tissue. A dremel with a diamond cutting wheel works well if it comes down to it.

IME Duncan are hearty and almost indestructible. I was cutting frags and I dropped one on the floor. Waited to get it then couldn’t find it. Finally found it about an hour later in the backyard. One of the dogs picked it up and crushed it. Glued it to a plug and it survived.
Thank you!! I used a magnifying glass and noticed purpleish/reddish bumps or blisters on the flesh. Zoomed in through magnifying glass and here's wgat it looks like. I have an iodine dip, not lugos, ill order that. I've never fragged, but I'm willing to try!

IMG_1444.jpg

Last edited:

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! I used a magnifying glass and noticed purpleish/reddish bumps or blisters on the flesh. Zoomed in through magnifying glass and here's wgat it looks like. I have an iodine dip, not lugos, ill order that. I've never fragged, but I'm willing to try!

IMG_1444.jpg
That’s a good pic, I don’t know what is going on with the flesh. Are the white dots visible with your eyes, are they moving? Have you ruled out pests
IMG_2153.jpeg

OP
OP
SaltLifeMom

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good pic, I don’t know what is going on with the flesh. Are the white dots visible with your eyes, are they moving? Have you ruled out pests
IMG_2153.jpeg
Hey , do the white dots are new budfing heads. It looks wierd in the photo. Kinda wondering if the discosoma mushrooms are stinging him. They aren't close, but they are spreading and constantly putting out some sort of mucous and I wondered if that could be a problem. I hate those shrooms

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this I use it 3 times a week. Great for all corals. Great results

IMG_5929.png
I dose AB+ daily, at bedtime. About a half dose, which is 6-8 drops in my little EVO5. I just add in front of the wavemaker and let the pumps push it out.

Attachments

• 20231129_204748.jpg
    20231129_204748.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 21

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back