Grumpy Duncan or problem? Emergency?

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I've had my Duncan for over a year. He's weathered a move to a new city and now has 9 heads, from 1. He's always looked like a huge sun, beautifully spread out. I was out of town for about a week, so was a week behind on my normal bi monthly 5 gallon water change (I have a 25g cube waterbox penninsula). I have an Apex triton and my levels were consistent while I was away (Calcium 540, alk 9, Mag 1300, PH 9.2 all very normal for my tank). I tested phosphate and it was .03, a little lower for my tank but just by a little. Nitrate with Hanna checker read 65, which is crazy for my tank (typically run around 20, I know most say that's high but that's normal for my tank for at least a year, I don't know why). I retested and Hanna checker said 43 nitrate, do that was odd.

Did a 5 gallon waterchange, did some normal vacuuming and glass cleaning. Spot fed corals.

The next day, the Duncan was open but tentacles were stubby. Wierd for him but I've seen it before, usually after a big meal or when growing a new head. The same look the next day. This morning, he was about the same so I took a magnifying glass and looked for any brown spots or anything off. Skeleton looks clear but I koticed a few tentacles where there was a black pinpoint of black on the tip. By the time I got home from work, 9 hours later, all heads are totally retracted.

I've been scouring the forums and internet and I get that Duncan's can be moody. But he's never totally retracted and I'm nervous about the few black tips.

Thoughts? I'll post a before pic of him, a this morning pic and a 9 hr later pic. Thanks for your ideas!

20231025_165203.jpg 20231221_100120.jpg 20231221_194259.jpg

OP
OP
SaltLifeMom

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That nitrate shift is pretty major for a stable system. I’d give it time, especially if everything else in the tank is happy.
Right? I'm really freaked out by the shift. I retested nitrate about an hour ago and it was 63. Bizarre. I'm making fresh saltwater, going to do a larger change.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like a bit of tissue recession on the skeleton there too. I can't offer much insight here, other than any chance that puffer has been nipping (assuming its not a mimic but hard to tell from the photo. . . that said file fish could nip corals as well I suppose.)

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m far from an expert, but mine did that after a big change in nutrients. It was actually the first to react, and shortly after everything else reacted/algae break out and eventually bottomed out phosphates. It rebounds really quick and never really stopped growing heads.

OP
OP
SaltLifeMom

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bit of tissue recession on the skeleton there too. I can't offer much insight here, other than any chance that puffer has been nipping (assuming its not a mimic but hard to tell from the photo. . . that said file fish could nip corals as well I suppose.)
Anything is possible, but I've never seen my Valentini go anywhere near the Duncan. I'll be home for several days and will keep an eye out!!

OP
OP
SaltLifeMom

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d wait it out as well. My Duncan recedes if you fart too close to the tank lol. Yes my experience has been Duncan’s a re very moody and recedes for absolutely no reason. Sometimes for a week or two. The as quick as it recedes it opens back up.
I'm totally hoping it's just being a scrounge! Still trying to figure out why my nitrate readings are crazy.

OP
OP
SaltLifeMom

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: tightly closed, but mouths are still visible. Closed now for over a week. Small extension, I mean a few tentacles poking a cm out, in the a.m. ughhhh

Ph: 8.14
Alk 10.76
Calcium 517
Mag 1362
Nitrate 11
Phosphate 0.03
Temp 78.4

Attachments

• 20231227_175946.jpg
    20231227_175946.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20231227_175938.jpg
    20231227_175938.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20231227_175922.jpg
    20231227_175922.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 45

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine looked like that after they were stung by a wandering BTA. They never recovered. :( I find that mine like it when my nitrate is around 15-20. Guess I run a bit of a "dirty" tank?

OP
OP
SaltLifeMom

SaltLifeMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine looked like that after they were stung by a wandering BTA. They never recovered. :( I find that mine like it when my nitrate is around 15-20. Guess I run a bit of a "dirty" tank?
I usually have my nitrates around 20 and everything has been great. In my original post, I explained how I got ridiculous readings on my Hannah for nitrates. I may have over compensated with a large water change, and now my nitrates are 11, lower than I usually run. I'm gonna chill and see once my nutrients settle a bit. He was very happy at 20, so maybe he'll be happy soon. Just really nervous about him, I love him!

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to order the Salifert. Been using the Hanna and the only other test my LFS had was the stupid add drops and shake test and look for the matching color... forget the brand, but I've never found them to be accurate really.
If it’s any consolation my Duncan (12 heads) is doing the same. My parameters are all in the good zone and very stable. It’s been a week now. All my lps & spa softies and even acros are perfectly fine and healthy. Maybe it’s some sort of Duncan revolt! lol

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any chance clowns bothering it ? 540 lil high for calcium would recommend 480 max JMO... :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back