GSP Closed

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 month old, previously thriving GSP colony closed up a few days ago for what seems like no reason? Everything else is thriving, water parameters seem within safe ranges, no visible pests, it just seems a tad dusty? I see some detritus settling on it but this coral has been in that spot for 2 months with no previous issues.

OP
OP
andiesreef

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have these parameters changed much over the last 2 months?
PH, Nitrates, Ammonia, Nitries: Not much
Alk, Calc, Mag: Slowly as I have been experimenting with dosing, but not huge swings or anything
Salinity + Temp: Salinity is between 1.024-1.026, while temp has been brought up for speeding up the life cycle of ich living in my tank

OP
OP
andiesreef

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH, Nitrates, Ammonia, Nitries: Not much
Alk, Calc, Mag: Slowly as I have been experimenting with dosing, but not huge swings or anything
Salinity + Temp: Salinity is between 1.024-1.026, while temp has been brought up for speeding up the life cycle of ich living in my tank
Double check parameters and let us know what they all are ;)
my parameters today are essentially the same. nitrate is at 5 because i don’t have any fish in the tank atm and feed the inverts and corals heavily to avoid bottoming out on nutrients. decided to dip the gsp and relocate it to higher flow. here it is out of the water:
27B70B63-6485-4368-818C-BB35B6CE40ED.jpeg
5342F996-72FD-4CA1-B35C-E4CE96C616C3.jpeg

OP
OP
andiesreef

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's phos?

Although not a big swing they are sensitive to salt swings.
will test phos momentarily, but normally under 0.2ppm. and salinity doesn't swing all that much, i added the range in there because when things happen like my water level dropping i assume it fluctuates a tad.

OP
OP
andiesreef

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any livestock that could irritate it? Shrimp, snails, crabs or urchin?
When mine get irritated it takes a while for them to fully get back to normal.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guarantee you it was the detritus that was on it. Next time, just blow it off with a turkey blaster. None of your params should be making it close up (my nitrates are at like 50 right now :oops: , phosphates are undetectable, and mine isn’t bothered in the slightest, it’s growing incredibly fast). One thing I’ve learned over the years is that gsp doesn’t like detritus building up on it. Unless there was a quick change to your parameters (like a sudden alk or salinity swing), as in like over the course of a few hours, I’m 99% sure it was the detritus.

OP
OP
andiesreef

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guarantee you it was the detritus that was on it. Next time, just blow it off with a turkey blaster. None of your params should be making it close up (my nitrates are at like 50 right now :oops: , phosphates are undetectable, and mine isn’t bothered in the slightest, it’s growing incredibly fast). One thing I’ve learned over the years is that gsp doesn’t like detritus building up on it. Unless there was a quick change to your parameters (like a sudden alk or salinity swing), as in like over the course of a few hours, I’m 99% sure it was the detritus.
it did appear to have detritus on it. the flow blasted a good chunk of it off, but it is still closed. my emerald crab has been pinching off some larger bits of gunk since i moved it to higher flow but no changes yet.

OP
OP
andiesreef

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding this thread months later, but am also experiencing some GSP issues. Did your GSP ever bounce back?
no, it died off over the next week or so :(

but i got a rock from my lfs in a frag swap that is thriving right now and has a happy micro brittle star living inside. it has grown and thrived way more than the prior one.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back