Gsp spontaneously closed and won’t open

  • Thread starter Thread starter ips41
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ips41

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2025
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Milwaukee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g HOB tank, protein skimmer, in tank Refugium, filtration is a tidal seachem 55 running filter floss, coarse sponge, and carbon. Can’t figure out why my gsp closed and won’t open, I’ve scrubbed it and tried placing it in different parts of the tank, nothings working. Parameters are checked daily and all the other corals (frogspawn, Duncan’s, acans, zoas) are doing fine. Parameters as follows:
Ph: 8
Alk: 9.3
Calcium: 450
Mag: 1380
Nitrite: 0
Phosphates:0
Ammonia: 0
Salinity 1.26
20250729_171154_ADA8CD83-2836-4CB7-A6C0-07B06AEBF9EB.png
 
Scrubbed the base with a soft bristle toothbrush to make sure there wasn’t any algae irritating it
 
Why test ammonia and nitrite but not nitrate? No need to ever test ammonia and nitrite on a cycled tank. What is the nitrate level?

Phosphate is zero which is not good, corals need some amount of nitrate and phosphate. 0-0 will run you into trouble. You might have too much filtration on a small tank IMO.

You have a tidal but do you have powerheads? Corals need flow, you should have a pair of powerheads in the tank.
 
Why test ammonia and nitrite but not nitrate? No need to ever test ammonia and nitrite on a cycled tank. What is the nitrate level?

Phosphate is zero which is not good, corals need some amount of nitrate and phosphate. 0-0 will run you into trouble. You might have too much filtration on a small tank IMO.

You have a tidal but do you have powerheads? Corals need flow, you should have a pair of powerheads in the tank.
Yes I have two power heads that provide flow, I will check nitrate levels, I figured they where probably low if phosphates, ammonia, and nitrite where 0, so I should try turning the skimmer off for a bit and turning the filtration gph down to let some nutrients build back up
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new