GSP - What is my issue?

tcreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been able to grow GSP in my main display and cannot figure out why. It opens just fine in my growout tank with the same lighting that is plumbed into the same system. I also took a piece of it to my office tank and it opened right up and looks great. I have moved it to at least 50 different places thinking it might be a flow issue but again, no luck. I have tried to keep an eye on it to see if maybe some livestock was bothering it in the main display but haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

WHAT AM I MISSING? and before I get all of the comments about how lucky I am that it wont grow because it takes over just know that my wife likes it and you know.... happy wife=happy life.

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine on the bottom with high flow and about 130par.

20180724_222645.jpg

20180724_222619.jpg

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Green and the pink star polyps in my cube, mine are more situated towards the top! With a low to moderate flow! Lighting I keep to moderate setting! Too much flow will close them up! As for the Matt I keep it free from detritus! They don’t like being moved around too much! Had mine for 3yr all ok.

8B85D03D-3D2C-46EE-847C-BBE69D5D399B.jpeg

SPS Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you waited for it to open after moving it? Where is it placed? Is it shaded by rock or other coral? Do you have a picture for a better understanding of what could be causing the problem? Maybe of a pic in both places?

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I've ever had a problem with GSP being closed up was due to low light. Are they being shaded? Nothing wrong with GSP, it's a beautiful coral. Once you have a bunch for a while you tend to get tired of how much it spreads is all.
I had to banish mine to a spare tank a few years back. Sold the rock for a good bit of cash though.
gsp2.JPG

View attachment gsp madness.jpg

OP
OP
T

tcreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you waited for it to open after moving it? Where is it placed? Is it shaded by rock or other coral? Do you have a picture for a better understanding of what could be causing the problem? Maybe of a pic in both places?

I usually wait about 10-14 days before trying a new spot. I have tried on the bottom, middle, and top. I have tried shaded and non shaded areas. I have tried in high and low flow areas as well.

SPS Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually wait about 10-14 days before trying a new spot. I have tried on the bottom, middle, and top. I have tried shaded and non shaded areas. I have tried in high and low flow areas as well.

How many days ago did it open last in the other tank? If it was a while then it might just be dead. I would put it in the other tank and if it opens then I am completely stumped. If it doesn't open then its just dead.

OP
OP
T

tcreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many days ago did it open last in the other tank? If it was a while then it might just be dead. I would put it in the other tank and if it opens then I am completely stumped. If it doesn't open then its just dead.

I just moved a piece of it into my office tank a few days ago and its open and happy and healthy. I know its not dead since I can see just the slightest hint of bright green right at the tips. I have a few other specimens in my office tank that I am going to snip some pieces off and bring home tomorrow to see if its just that particular piece that doesnt like my main display.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not familiar with any fish that really like GSP.
We have had plenty of softies like Xenia and clove polyps and simpodium mowed down by different fish but not the GSP.
What type of fish or urchins or whatever do you have in the tank?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back