GTBA help~~~~

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you~ what I did...is drop it in the water. that is it. first day it's doing well...

Anemone are very sensitive (they can be the first sign if something is wrong in your tank). I highly recommend if you ever add one again you temperature acclimate in the bag, then drip acclimate for at least an hour. He may be going through a little shock. Just give him some time.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is that mean?
Nearly every thread I read someone almost instantly drops in with "well you didn't wait X amount of months, that's the problem" I don't really agree with that POV but seems to be present in every thread

The way I feel is when someone is having a nem issue we should really try and get as much info as possible, about the tank, so that we can provide the best advice possible rather than just the canned "tank is too new response "

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly every thread I read someone almost instantly drops in with "well you didn't wait X amount of months, that's the problem" I don't really agree with that POV but seems to be present in every thread

The way I feel is when someone is having a nem issue we should really try and get as much info as possible, about the tank, so that we can provide the best advice possible rather than just the canned "tank is too new response "
Saying the tank is too new doesn't help the guy with the nem problem now, but it might save others grief in the future. I think another big issue, especially with anemones, is that people see them at petco in a 15 gallon tank with bad lighting, and think they must be easy for beginners with new tanks.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a nice looking tank. But I would be planning a bigger build already. When all of those frags start growing, its gonna get crowded in there! ;)

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggesting that the tank is "too new" isn't a canned answer. It is based on fact.

The fact is that Nems are very temperamental and (as has already been said), are usually the first to react to changes in water chemistry.

A 4 month old tank is prone to big swings. Since Nems like stability, they aren't recommended in such a young tank.

All this being said, is the Nem doomed? No, it isn't. But he needs to be ready for the challenges that are ahead when having a Nem in such a young tank.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, let's see if I can give you some helpful info on what to expect. As others have said, nems can be quite sensitive. They like stability. However they are not nearly as sensitive as all those SPS frags you have in your 20G! So here is what you need to do, keep your parameters as stable as possible, especially alkalinity and nitrate. If your nitrate goes too high, your nem will let you know by becoming stressed. He will move about, etc. while he attempts to become comfortable in a spot that gives him adequate flow and light. Don't worry about moving him, let him find his own happy place.

Now, once he does become happy, he is probably going to take out a sizeable portion of those frags! Just because there is not a lot of room for him to expand and live. If he settles into a nice nook near anything valuable or cherished, move the frag, not the nem. Moving nems can be problematic for the nem due to tearing their foot.

Lastly, don't panic about him getting smaller. There is no immediate danger about him starving. Nems take a long time to starve, if they are sizable. Like months. So you have plenty of time for him to get cozy and comfortable. The usual danger is if you have complex rock work where the nem can get himself into a dark cave and not have the energy to get himself out. Your rock work looks pretty accessible from all sides, so you should be good in this regard. I would avoid intentionally feeding him until he is settled and happy. Feeding helps them to grow bigger and get stronger, but can be very stressful for an unwell nem.

I have a green nem that looks similar to yours. I have had him about 5 years. When I got him he was a light yellow and very translucent. I did not realize it at the time, but he was not very healthy and therefore pale and sickly. When nutrients where high, he would be dark green. When nutrients were too low, he would pale and return to the translucent yellow. Over the years he has had unhappy periods were he shrank down to the size of a quarter. Once happy, he darkened up and grew and grew and grew. Right now he is 12" across and takes up half the width of the frag tank he is in. Given time, and stable parameters, yours will probably follow a similar path.

Lastly, if your nitrate is actually 0 like you have listed, your nem is not going to be to happy long term. They like a bit of nitrate. Like 2-5 ppm. The same is true of all those LPS frags you have. So you have a bit of a narrow path ahead of you. If you can keep your LPS happy and your SPS happy, your nem will be just fine with the water parameters.

Good luck, and have fun with your tank.

Dennis

OP
OP
kai hen

kai hen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, let's see if I can give you some helpful info on what to expect. As others have said, nems can be quite sensitive. They like stability. However they are not nearly as sensitive as all those SPS frags you have in your 20G! So here is what you need to do, keep your parameters as stable as possible, especially alkalinity and nitrate. If your nitrate goes too high, your nem will let you know by becoming stressed. He will move about, etc. while he attempts to become comfortable in a spot that gives him adequate flow and light. Don't worry about moving him, let him find his own happy place.

Now, once he does become happy, he is probably going to take out a sizeable portion of those frags! Just because there is not a lot of room for him to expand and live. If he settles into a nice nook near anything valuable or cherished, move the frag, not the nem. Moving nems can be problematic for the nem due to tearing their foot.

Lastly, don't panic about him getting smaller. There is no immediate danger about him starving. Nems take a long time to starve, if they are sizable. Like months. So you have plenty of time for him to get cozy and comfortable. The usual danger is if you have complex rock work where the nem can get himself into a dark cave and not have the energy to get himself out. Your rock work looks pretty accessible from all sides, so you should be good in this regard. I would avoid intentionally feeding him until he is settled and happy. Feeding helps them to grow bigger and get stronger, but can be very stressful for an unwell nem.

I have a green nem that looks similar to yours. I have had him about 5 years. When I got him he was a light yellow and very translucent. I did not realize it at the time, but he was not very healthy and therefore pale and sickly. When nutrients where high, he would be dark green. When nutrients were too low, he would pale and return to the translucent yellow. Over the years he has had unhappy periods were he shrank down to the size of a quarter. Once happy, he darkened up and grew and grew and grew. Right now he is 12" across and takes up half the width of the frag tank he is in. Given time, and stable parameters, yours will probably follow a similar path.

Lastly, if your nitrate is actually 0 like you have listed, your nem is not going to be to happy long term. They like a bit of nitrate. Like 2-5 ppm. The same is true of all those LPS frags you have. So you have a bit of a narrow path ahead of you. If you can keep your LPS happy and your SPS happy, your nem will be just fine with the water parameters.

Good luck, and have fun with your tank.

Dennis
61F462BD-D44B-4275-B3B4-15BA13CA3453.jpeg
She is out...for 4hours.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back