GUIDE: Using buttons and switches with PLM-Adin Card!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the GHL PLM-ADIN Card with Buttons for Feed, Maintenance,
Activating Programs,
and Shutting Off Devices.

WARNING: This is just an account of how I have my personal system set up. Work with electrical devices at your own risk, as serious damage to person or property can occur. Especially near water. Read all manufacturer instructions, and be sensible.

The GHL PLM-ADIN Card gives you four digital inputs and two 0-10v inputs. It can be installed in a Profilux 4 expansion slot (there are two slots available) or in the Expansion Box 2. Here we are using the digital inputs with buttons to enable your feed programs, maintenance programs, or to turn on/off specific outlets or subroutines. You can also use digital inputs in combination with float switches, magnetic switches, etc.

To physically install the PLM-ADIN Card, follow the video located below. The only tool you will need is a T10 Torx screwdriver/bit.

The ADIN card includes a ½ meter RJ45 cable, and a RJ45 to DB9 adapter. Here there are a few options to connect, depending on your preference. I do not suggest using the DB9 adapter (and purchasing a DB9 terminal breakout). It creates an additional connection that is not necessary if you use a RJ45 breakout (details below).

RJ45 breakout adapters are available for under $10 on Amazon, Ebay, etc. One end of the RJ45 cable connects to the RJ45 port and allows you to use screw terminals to connect your switches and buttons. Of course, the other end of the RJ45 cable (Either the included ½ meter cable or another of your preferred length) would be in the ADIN card.

Image: Example RJ45 breakouts.
Hu

Wiring digital inputs:

To sum it up: Digital inputs are activated if the given pin is connected to ground. It’s quite simple. This can be accomplished in many ways; buttons, toggle switches, float switches, etc.

Momentary buttons are best for activating timed modes such as Feed Pause or Maintenance. A momentary button is only activated while the button is pressed- when you release it, the input is no longer active. Feed Pauses and Maintenance involve the easiest programming, as it can be done directly via the "Digital Input" tab.

Latching buttons or toggle switches are best for keeping something off until you un-latch it again. Note that this requires programming logic.

The PLM-ADIN card has the following pinout. The pins highlighted in red are NOT used for this application.

Pin 1: 10v (Do not use)
Pin 2: Digital Input 1
Pin 3: Digital Input 2
Pin 4: Digital Input 3
Pin 5: Digital Input 4
Pin 6: 0-10v input #1
Pin 7: 0-10v input #2

Pin 8: Ground

So if you wanted to have a button on Digital Input 1, the button would go in between Pin 2 and Pin 8. When pressed, the button would activate the input and your programming.

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.48.37 AM.png

You can also chain the grounds from multiple buttons. This is convenient because you can only fit one wire into the terminal of the breakout.
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.48.50 AM.png

Digital Input Programming (Basic):

If you add a ADIN card to your Profilux, it will be assigned to Digital Input 1-4. Digital Inputs are easy to find in the Profilux menu, and once opened, you can assign a function (Feed Pause or Maintenance) to each input! It could not be easier.
  • If the Digital Input is activated once, the Function will begin.
  • If the Digital Input is activated again, the Function will be cancelled.
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.52.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.52.12 AM.png

Digital Inputs in Programming Logic (Advanced):

Digital inputs are also available in programming logic for more advanced use. For example, if you wanted to keep a switch channel off indefinitely while a digital input activated (for example using a toggle switch or latching button), you can add the appropriate code to your programming logic.

One could add “AND Digital Input 1” to previous programming logic to turn it off while the digital input is activated.

Note that the switch channel must be set to programming logic for any of this to apply. It cannot be set as a generic device type (pump, etc).

The below image shows adding programming logic #8 with the digital input shutoff, by adding on "AND Digital Input 1" to the previous logic (#7).

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.58.32 AM.png

This is the switch box I made, using 2 latching toggle switches and two momentary buttons. The momentary buttons activate Feed Pause and Maintenance, and the latching ones are dedicated for my stand lighting and a manual override to shut off everything.

Note I wired it directly to the switches, avoiding the RJ45 breakout mentioned in the article.

IMG_7582.jpeg

Let me know if you have any questions, and if you think I should make more Profilux guides!

VegetaD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is perfect thank you.
I just for that adaptive reef switch box and was planning to do this exact thing very much appreciated

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I understood correctly, but can the Adaptive Reef Switch box can be used with the Profilux?

I'm considering buying a Profilux Megaset, and physical buttons to activate things would be a must have for me.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I understood correctly, but can the Adaptive Reef Switch box can be used with the Profilux?

I'm considering buying a Profilux Megaset, and physical buttons to activate things would be a must have for me.

No, the Adaptive Reef one is for apex only. Uses a different connector type and a different pin out.

I made the pictured white switch box from scratch.

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the Adaptive Reef one is for apex only. Uses a different connector type and a different pin out.

Is it possible to cut the connector, and make it compatible with the GHL?

Did I understand correctly that the box you made is something you sell?
If yes, where can I find it?

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I coudn't find the GHL version for sale on your website

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to cut the connector, and make it compatible with the GHL?

Did I understand correctly that the box you made is something you sell?
If yes, where can I find it?

In theory yeah you could adapt the apex version, but the ADIN only has 4 inputs so you would have two that are unusable.

Yes, if you contact me I can make you a GHL version.

I coudn't find the GHL version for sale on your website

I make those upon request- not as popular as the apex ones. I also have a kit version if the buyer wants to make it themselves.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back