GUIDE: Using buttons and switches with PLM-Adin Card!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you're worried about that, then don't program the button to initiate anything that could cause problems.
I´m not worried about that because I do not press a button for 1 sec by mistake. I do not know if the delay is by purpose or not - Only know that I do not need to be worried to just touch the button lightly. Its good for me.

Sincerely Lasse

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to assume that the delay in not on purpose - but rather due to shortage of CPU cycles.
Code runs in a loop - important things (interrupts that read certain sensors, etc.) get done first, then less important things, then less important things... down the line.. and the loop starts over. While the loop runs thousands of times a second, many things take a second or more to accomplish and many things are set to only run once every half second or second, or whatever. There is only so much that can be executed at a time.

I am going to assume that the digital inputs are polled every second or so for state change. I am not sure if the button press needs to be that long to be "seen" by the polling, or if the button press registers quickly but is not acted upon for a second or so. I have a PLM-ADIN but have not used it yet to see. I am going to bet that there is at least a 1 second delay between "input" and "output" though.

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the GHL PLM-ADIN Card with Buttons for Feed, Maintenance,
Activating Programs,
and Shutting Off Devices.

WARNING: This is just an account of how I have my personal system set up. Work with electrical devices at your own risk, as serious damage to person or property can occur. Especially near water. Read all manufacturer instructions, and be sensible.

The GHL PLM-ADIN Card gives you four digital inputs and two 0-10v inputs. It can be installed in a Profilux 4 expansion slot (there are two slots available) or in the Expansion Box 2. Here we are using the digital inputs with buttons to enable your feed programs, maintenance programs, or to turn on/off specific outlets or subroutines. You can also use digital inputs in combination with float switches, magnetic switches, etc.

To physically install the PLM-ADIN Card, follow the video located below. The only tool you will need is a T10 Torx screwdriver/bit.

The ADIN card includes a ½ meter RJ45 cable, and a RJ45 to DB9 adapter. Here there are a few options to connect, depending on your preference. I do not suggest using the DB9 adapter (and purchasing a DB9 terminal breakout). It creates an additional connection that is not necessary if you use a RJ45 breakout (details below).

RJ45 breakout adapters are available for under $10 on Amazon, Ebay, etc. One end of the RJ45 cable connects to the RJ45 port and allows you to use screw terminals to connect your switches and buttons. Of course, the other end of the RJ45 cable (Either the included ½ meter cable or another of your preferred length) would be in the ADIN card.

Image: Example RJ45 breakouts.
Hu

Wiring digital inputs:

To sum it up: Digital inputs are activated if the given pin is connected to ground. It’s quite simple. This can be accomplished in many ways; buttons, toggle switches, float switches, etc.

Momentary buttons are best for activating timed modes such as Feed Pause or Maintenance. A momentary button is only activated while the button is pressed- when you release it, the input is no longer active. Feed Pauses and Maintenance involve the easiest programming, as it can be done directly via the "Digital Input" tab.

Latching buttons or toggle switches are best for keeping something off until you un-latch it again. Note that this requires programming logic.

The PLM-ADIN card has the following pinout. The pins highlighted in red are NOT used for this application.

Pin 1: 10v (Do not use)
Pin 2: Digital Input 1
Pin 3: Digital Input 2
Pin 4: Digital Input 3
Pin 5: Digital Input 4
Pin 6: 0-10v input #1
Pin 7: 0-10v input #2

Pin 8: Ground

So if you wanted to have a button on Digital Input 1, the button would go in between Pin 2 and Pin 8. When pressed, the button would activate the input and your programming.

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.48.37 AM.png

You can also chain the grounds from multiple buttons. This is convenient because you can only fit one wire into the terminal of the breakout.
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.48.50 AM.png

Digital Input Programming (Basic):

If you add a ADIN card to your Profilux, it will be assigned to Digital Input 1-4. Digital Inputs are easy to find in the Profilux menu, and once opened, you can assign a function (Feed Pause or Maintenance) to each input! It could not be easier.
  • If the Digital Input is activated once, the Function will begin.
  • If the Digital Input is activated again, the Function will be cancelled.
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.52.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.52.12 AM.png

Digital Inputs in Programming Logic (Advanced):

Digital inputs are also available in programming logic for more advanced use. For example, if you wanted to keep a switch channel off indefinitely while a digital input activated (for example using a toggle switch or latching button), you can add the appropriate code to your programming logic.

One could add “AND Digital Input 1” to previous programming logic to turn it off while the digital input is activated.

Note that the switch channel must be set to programming logic for any of this to apply. It cannot be set as a generic device type (pump, etc).

The below image shows adding programming logic #8 with the digital input shutoff, by adding on "AND Digital Input 1" to the previous logic (#7).

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.58.32 AM.png

This is the switch box I made, using 2 latching toggle switches and two momentary buttons. The momentary buttons activate Feed Pause and Maintenance, and the latching ones are dedicated for my stand lighting and a manual override to shut off everything.

Note I wired it directly to the switches, avoiding the RJ45 breakout mentioned in the article.

IMG_7582.jpeg

Let me know if you have any questions, and if you think I should make more Profilux guides!

Hey there! Thank you so much for putting this together. I found it really helpful. I have two questions I'm wondering if you'd be able to answer?

1) Could you please elaborate on the programming logic for the latching buttons (toggle switches). I see that you kindly included a screenshot of your programming for programmable logic #8. But you reference programming logic #7 and I'm wondering what you had programmed in that gate?

2) I find the buttons to have a decent amount of delay from when I press them to when the system recognizes the input. Do you have the same issue? Are you aware of a solution to fix/improve the response time?

Thank you so much for your help and time in advance,
Shane

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the GHL PLM-ADIN Card with Buttons for Feed, Maintenance,
Activating Programs,
and Shutting Off Devices.

WARNING: This is just an account of how I have my personal system set up. Work with electrical devices at your own risk, as serious damage to person or property can occur. Especially near water. Read all manufacturer instructions, and be sensible.

The GHL PLM-ADIN Card gives you four digital inputs and two 0-10v inputs. It can be installed in a Profilux 4 expansion slot (there are two slots available) or in the Expansion Box 2. Here we are using the digital inputs with buttons to enable your feed programs, maintenance programs, or to turn on/off specific outlets or subroutines. You can also use digital inputs in combination with float switches, magnetic switches, etc.

To physically install the PLM-ADIN Card, follow the video located below. The only tool you will need is a T10 Torx screwdriver/bit.

The ADIN card includes a ½ meter RJ45 cable, and a RJ45 to DB9 adapter. Here there are a few options to connect, depending on your preference. I do not suggest using the DB9 adapter (and purchasing a DB9 terminal breakout). It creates an additional connection that is not necessary if you use a RJ45 breakout (details below).

RJ45 breakout adapters are available for under $10 on Amazon, Ebay, etc. One end of the RJ45 cable connects to the RJ45 port and allows you to use screw terminals to connect your switches and buttons. Of course, the other end of the RJ45 cable (Either the included ½ meter cable or another of your preferred length) would be in the ADIN card.

Image: Example RJ45 breakouts.
Hu

Wiring digital inputs:

To sum it up: Digital inputs are activated if the given pin is connected to ground. It’s quite simple. This can be accomplished in many ways; buttons, toggle switches, float switches, etc.

Momentary buttons are best for activating timed modes such as Feed Pause or Maintenance. A momentary button is only activated while the button is pressed- when you release it, the input is no longer active. Feed Pauses and Maintenance involve the easiest programming, as it can be done directly via the "Digital Input" tab.

Latching buttons or toggle switches are best for keeping something off until you un-latch it again. Note that this requires programming logic.

The PLM-ADIN card has the following pinout. The pins highlighted in red are NOT used for this application.

Pin 1: 10v (Do not use)
Pin 2: Digital Input 1
Pin 3: Digital Input 2
Pin 4: Digital Input 3
Pin 5: Digital Input 4
Pin 6: 0-10v input #1
Pin 7: 0-10v input #2

Pin 8: Ground

So if you wanted to have a button on Digital Input 1, the button would go in between Pin 2 and Pin 8. When pressed, the button would activate the input and your programming.

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.48.37 AM.png

You can also chain the grounds from multiple buttons. This is convenient because you can only fit one wire into the terminal of the breakout.
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.48.50 AM.png

Digital Input Programming (Basic):

If you add a ADIN card to your Profilux, it will be assigned to Digital Input 1-4. Digital Inputs are easy to find in the Profilux menu, and once opened, you can assign a function (Feed Pause or Maintenance) to each input! It could not be easier.
  • If the Digital Input is activated once, the Function will begin.
  • If the Digital Input is activated again, the Function will be cancelled.
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.52.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.52.12 AM.png

Digital Inputs in Programming Logic (Advanced):

Digital inputs are also available in programming logic for more advanced use. For example, if you wanted to keep a switch channel off indefinitely while a digital input activated (for example using a toggle switch or latching button), you can add the appropriate code to your programming logic.

One could add “AND Digital Input 1” to previous programming logic to turn it off while the digital input is activated.

Note that the switch channel must be set to programming logic for any of this to apply. It cannot be set as a generic device type (pump, etc).

The below image shows adding programming logic #8 with the digital input shutoff, by adding on "AND Digital Input 1" to the previous logic (#7).

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.58.32 AM.png

This is the switch box I made, using 2 latching toggle switches and two momentary buttons. The momentary buttons activate Feed Pause and Maintenance, and the latching ones are dedicated for my stand lighting and a manual override to shut off everything.

Note I wired it directly to the switches, avoiding the RJ45 breakout mentioned in the article.

IMG_7582.jpeg

Let me know if you have any questions, and if you think I should make more Profilux guides!

Old tread and yes please do more.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 33 84.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back