Guilt in the reefing hobby

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone feels guilty about keeping these tropical fish in our tanks. I was just reading about how they're stunned and captured, and many of them die during the process.

I just have been feeling a little guilty about taking them from their native homes, and putting them in these restrictive tanks, what do you guys think- just wondering about other people's opinions.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone feels guilty about keeping these tropical fish in our tanks. I was just reading about how they're stunned and captured, and many of them die during the process.

I just have been feeling a little guilty about taking them from their native homes, and putting them in these restrictive tanks, what do you guys think- just wondering about other people's opinions.

Well no. Treat my tanks like members of my family. It can be debated, but the malpractices for capturing the animals those individuals have to deal with their conscious and I with mine. They are breaking laws forbidding certain types of capture.

No different than having a dog or cat. Treat the animal properly the best you can and keep it moving.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep captive fish

That doesn't mean there are less that perish. Breeders routinely "cull" unwanted fish that may have physical defects.

The most humane of the breeders will use the culled fish as food for predators instead of just tossing them in a bucket or in the trash.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to feel more guilty about how much fossil fuels we burn and whats its doing to the natural habitat of all wild animals, including our but we are all part of the problem. I think it became more clear after my son was born 2 years ago.. Like we are just wasting away and leaving nothing for the future generation

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Guilt?
Its like a fisherman feeling guilty about casting a lure, or a hunter shooting a duck or deer. My fish eat better than I do. . . IT IS THEY THAT SHOULD FEEL GUILTY . . . LOL

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guilt?
Its like a fisherman feeling guilty about casting a lure, or a hunter shooting a duck or deer. My fish eat better than I do. . . IT IS THEY THAT SHOULD FEEL GUILTY . . . LOL
This I'd exactly how I feel. Theres zero feeling of guilt here.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, think about it this way. Even though the trip to your tank may not have been pleasant, I’m sure fish don’t have much long term memory, so they will be fine. And perhaps the fish in your tank would have ended up in the belly of a black tip reef shark. So you may have done it a favor and saved it’s life.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally get where you're coming from. It's certainly not black and white. Captive bred is pretty much always better for many reasons however in my time keeping animals I've seen a change in the fundamental beliefs of how animals should be kept. The idea a few years ago was typically to recreate nature as close as possible, these animals have evolved to live in these places and that should be replicated.

However more recently the train of thought seems to be that these animals have evolved to survive not necessarily thrive. The circle of life does not discriminate and animals have evolved to survive incredibly harsh conditions, pressure from predators and disease etc. Nature is harsh and all living things are constantly fighting to exist.

Personally I think that if there is any hope for humanity at this point a large part of that will be understanding our connection with nature and an appreciation for all living things. I think keeping animals in captivity is very important to maintain that connection, raise awareness and share the beauty of the ocean with others. With those reasons in mind I only feel guilty if I fail to provide an animal with what it needs to thrive.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Genuinely curious, where did you read about the stunning and capturing process? I know Hawaii had a model fishery until it got shut down.

I did feel guilty, but then I realized that purchasing fish can also help sustain local communities. Collecting fish for the aquarium hobby is much more lucrative than collecting fish for food. And it's typically far more sustainable for fish stocks when you're collecting them for the aquarium as opposed to collecting them for food as well. I'll admit, cyanide and dynamite fishing are not ideal, and local fish collectors should be trained on how to collect fish in an ethically and environmentally responsible way.

Granted, I'm also in favor of captive breeding, especially with fish that have a limited range (like banggai cardinalfish), or have very specific microniches within the aquarium (like clownfish). And captive breeding in general furthers scientific knowledge about how fish reproduce, which is useful if any given fishery ever absolutely collapses.

As for putting them in "restrictive tanks"...well, that's what minimum tank requirements are for, as well as taking into account what fish you're keeping. Clownfish are site-oriented, and won't typically leave an anemone. Gobiodon gobies will stay in Acroporas as much as possible unless they have no other option. And shrimp gobies really aren't going to be straying super far from their burrows anyways.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back