Gulf Live Rock.Com

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phillip at KP is great. Spoke with him at length on the phone and via email. Got 125 pounds of their premium air freighted in water. Gorgeous stuff. Very little die off. No cycling needed. Gonna look to get an additional 100 pounds. Highly recommend.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Gulf Live Rock shipment shipped FedEx on Monday. So it was a week later than I hoped but in all fairness, i was told that he "thinks" he has enough in stock but if not he would be going out for another retrieval the beginning of the week. I just went with base rock for some bacteria biodiversity in a new set up so I'm not expecting it to look great. In turn, there shouldn't be much die off wrapped in wet news paper or paper towels for a few days with FedEx. I got my Rubbermaid tote with tank water from the last water change ready.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Mine shipped on Monday as well. I instructed him to do so, as that would give me enough time to set up everything else. I am excited. The rock should be here on Wednesday.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wasn't so fortunate. FedEx's first tracking I received on Monday said that it would be delivered on Wednesday. Then it got pushed to Thursday. Today the FedEx update says Friday. That's five days shipping :mad: Needless to say i'm furious. Granted it's just base rock but the temps here in illinois are in the low 40s at night and the stuff has been out of water for five days now. I'm sure a lot of bacteria will survive but how much bacteria and microscopic life will have died in the two extra days out of water in cooler air. It's hard to really blame Gulf Live Rock but at the end of the day, I'm not going to get what I paid for. I have e-mailed Dan and will be calling him after I receive the rock

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the coralline base live rock comes from the same ocean farm as the primo live rock? I’d like to have some shipped FedEx which will probably be three days and am just looking for the bacteria bio diversity so not really interested in the primo rock. But I want to make sure it comes from the ocean.
Salty bottom has LR that ships on submerged by air included in the price. It isn’t in stock a lot but it has lots of biodiversity

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phillip at KP is great. Spoke with him at length on the phone and via email. Got 125 pounds of their premium air freighted in water. Gorgeous stuff. Very little die off. No cycling needed. Gonna look to get an additional 100 pounds. Highly recommend.
How much would 30-40 lbs of kp cost?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much would 30-40 lbs of kp cost?
Their rock is $9/lb plus whatever air freight is. They also have where they can ship overnight to your door but that's with wet paper. For that they have an all inclusive price, ie rock plus shipping price., Check out their website. All options are on there.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan from Gulf Live Rock reached out to me very quickly. If the rock is in bad shape/destroyed he is going to send out another box to replace it. That makes me feel very good about purchasing from them weather the rock needs replacing or not.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my rock finally arrived today all-be-it a day or two late. I have to say the rock looks great. Not too much smell to it and lots of stuff on it. I went ahead and pulled the loose sponges, clams, algae etc and gave it a good scrubbing. Then I put it into the holding tank. I left a few clams that looked to still be alive. Not sure how long they'll last but I figure if they're alive they can help process the water.

9732F27B-2522-4370-AB5F-46691B0C8CEB.jpeg FE21BAEA-B582-4A53-9754-EB3696469D9F.jpeg A3850337-1829-4E3C-85EE-B48CD68B18D3.jpeg

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd recommend anyone looking to buy LR get it shipped overnight. I wish everything on my rock would've survived shipping. Lots of die off but that is to be expected with 2-3 days in transit.

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expected mine yesterday, shipped on Monday, delayed and should be here today I’m hoping. As far as I know the only overnight option is at the airport overnight to your door would be an excellent option..

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend anyone looking to buy LR get it shipped overnight. I wish everything on my rock would've survived shipping. Lots of die off but that is to be expected with 2-3 days in transit.
I just ordered coraline base rock so wasn't expecting to get all the "good stuff" that is on primo rock. So wasn't really worried about too much die off as long as the bacteria survived. I was suprised a few nice peices of primo type rock were included with my order. If I was getting all primo rock, I would definitely air freight in water.

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Expected mine yesterday, shipped on Monday, delayed and should be here today I’m hoping. As far as I know the only overnight option is at the airport overnight to your door would be an excellent option..
I'd think fedex overnight would be doable with smaller quantities. Once you get heavier then airline becomes cheaper

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Box just got here. Shipped Monday morning, I’ve only just opened it up and it smells like death like reaks man I haven’t even opened the bag yet. I was planning to put it all straight into my tank that is newly set up no stock yet or any rocks but I don’t know should I scrub it or something first????

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Box just got here. Shipped Monday morning, I’ve only just opened it up and it smells like death like reaks man I haven’t even opened the bag yet. I was planning to put it all straight into my tank that is newly set up no stock yet or any rocks but I don’t know should I scrub it or something first????
I'm in Chicago as well so I guess we're the last stop. I'd scrape off anything that smells. Especially sponges and clams. I have two clams that survived somehow. Then give it a good rinse in a bucket of old tank water. (I did a 20 gallon water change just so I had some water to clean off the rock) I scrubbed mine but I can see not wanting to do that. Test ammonia daily and water change often for the first few days as needed. Hopefully a good portion of the stuff comes back.

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Chicago as well so I guess we're the last stop. I'd scrape off anything that smells. Especially sponges and clams. I have two clams that survived somehow. Then give it a good rinse in a bucket of old tank water. (I did a 20 gallon water change just so I had some water to clean off the rock) I scrubbed mine but I can see not wanting to do that. Test ammonia daily and water change often for the first few days as needed. Hopefully a good portion of the stuff comes back.
I found like a 4 inch clam if it’s open at all it’s dead right? Did your box smell horrible?

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got mine on Wednesday and it smelled horrible. My ammonia is still reading 8ppm after multiple 100% and 50% water changes.

Yes, if the clam is open, it is dead. I had one clam that was alive but died after a day in the tank.

I pulled out a lot of dead stuff yesterday. I hope it is all worth it.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Cycle it in a tank/container where you can do 100% water changes. You going to do a lot of 100% water changes.

Back