Gymnothorax berndti

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this thread finds my fellow eel-lovers well. I recently had the opportunity to order a Y-bar moray for myself, Gymnothorax ypsilon. This was with the understanding of its rarity and (usually) high cost of this fish. However, it was a really good price they wanted, and in the back of my head, I had a small inkling that the thing might happen that often happens when dealing with large wholesalers: they get the ID wrong. I figured the chance might be slim in this case, but I knew I would be happy with either the ypsilon or what I considered the only other species they could mistake for one: a Gymnothorax berndti.

How could I not be happy with a mistake like that? An arguably prettier, rarer species, that would otherwise sell for around dragon moray prices.

Well, my instincts seemed to be on to something, because I was greeted with this beautiful animal upon opening the shipping box:
IMG_2762.jpg
IMG_2763.jpg

Here he/she is out of the bag:
IMG_2764.jpg
IMG_2765.jpg

He/she will be (temporarily) housed in a 30 gallon cube by themselves (plus a shameface crab) until I figure out what kind of tank situation I want to look into for a more permanent setup. Also gives me a good way to observe them for any disease/make sure they're eating well.
IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg
IMG_2772.jpg

I'll likely update this thread occasionally on how he/she is doing and when I eventually move them into a more permanent tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back