Gymnothorax berndti

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this thread finds my fellow eel-lovers well. I recently had the opportunity to order a Y-bar moray for myself, Gymnothorax ypsilon. This was with the understanding of its rarity and (usually) high cost of this fish. However, it was a really good price they wanted, and in the back of my head, I had a small inkling that the thing might happen that often happens when dealing with large wholesalers: they get the ID wrong. I figured the chance might be slim in this case, but I knew I would be happy with either the ypsilon or what I considered the only other species they could mistake for one: a Gymnothorax berndti.

How could I not be happy with a mistake like that? An arguably prettier, rarer species, that would otherwise sell for around dragon moray prices.

Well, my instincts seemed to be on to something, because I was greeted with this beautiful animal upon opening the shipping box:
IMG_2762.jpg
IMG_2763.jpg

Here he/she is out of the bag:
IMG_2764.jpg
IMG_2765.jpg

He/she will be (temporarily) housed in a 30 gallon cube by themselves (plus a shameface crab) until I figure out what kind of tank situation I want to look into for a more permanent setup. Also gives me a good way to observe them for any disease/make sure they're eating well.
IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg
IMG_2772.jpg

I'll likely update this thread occasionally on how he/she is doing and when I eventually move them into a more permanent tank.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's eaten silversides twice and regurgitated some of them twice, so I figured I'd try some raw shell-on shrimp tonight and see if he likes it enough to keep it down. I'm guessing he just ate too much out of excitement, as we all have at some point...

IMG_2877.JPEG

IMG_2876.JPEG

IMG_2878.JPEG
I love his eyes!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 47 42.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back