Gyre 200 Series Controller Settings

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 250s in my 5ft 120g. I have one horizontal 1" below the surface. But because it's a corner overflow the other doesn't fit horizontally, so it is vertical facing down along the back.

I've tried a few settings, including my own program. At the moment I'm running OGC and quite like it.

On the automatic ones it shows a D1, D2 etc... Does anyone know what that indicates?

Tony

OP
OP
yellojello

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 250s in my 5ft 120g. I have one horizontal 1" below the surface. But because it's a corner overflow the other doesn't fit horizontally, so it is vertical facing down along the back.

I've tried a few settings, including my own program. At the moment I'm running OGC and quite like it.

On the automatic ones it shows a D1, D2 etc... Does anyone know what that indicates?

Tony

http://coralvue.com/support/089400-LTC-and-OGC-Preset-ONOFF---Firmware-17

This is Carlos answer for me:

The ON/OFF are for the controller to mimic low and high tides more accurately. If the setting is OFF, then there are exactly 2 tides a day. If you turn it ON, then the controller offsets each day by adding 48 minutes to the preset loop which creates a set of low and high tides that are more close to what happens in nature. In nature (because of the moon's rotation around the earth) the two tides are not exactly synced with the day but instead are a little offset.

In summary, Maxspect is just trying to give customers the option to have flow that closely resembles nature.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://coralvue.com/support/089400-LTC-and-OGC-Preset-ONOFF---Firmware-17

This is Carlos answer for me:

The ON/OFF are for the controller to mimic low and high tides more accurately. If the setting is OFF, then there are exactly 2 tides a day. If you turn it ON, then the controller offsets each day by adding 48 minutes to the preset loop which creates a set of low and high tides that are more close to what happens in nature. In nature (because of the moon's rotation around the earth) the two tides are not exactly synced with the day but instead are a little offset.

In summary, Maxspect is just trying to give customers the option to have flow that closely resembles nature.
That's quite cool, thanks.

Tony

Miken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video to show how to set it for 2 minutes alternating says it's not available. Is there some other place I can see it. I'm only able to set for 10 seconds as well.

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the alternating forward and backward. Each pump goes forward for 2 minutes and backwards for two, not pulsing and the two pumps turn on alternate of each other. I have several tangs and sometimes they rip off big pieces of nori and it gets stuck to the gyre, so going in reverse every couple minutes keeps them cleaned off.
Hey Bubba, just wondering if you were still using the alternating gyre mode? If so, how are you liking it? Thanks

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man for the info. I have kind of been all over the place with mine. I run two 250's on a 120.

Do you run that same program all day, every day or do you run in auto mode and switch to something like alternating pulse?

Thanks again for the info. I have always used MP's and it seems like I'm all over with these things. The other thing is it seems my fish don't like them half the time. Not sure if I'm hitting them with too much flow.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man for the info. I have kind of been all over the place with mine. I run two 250's on a 120.

Do you run that same program all day, every day or do you run in auto mode and switch to something like alternating pulse?

Thanks again for the info. I have always used MP's and it seems like I'm all over with these things. The other thing is it seems my fish don't like them half the time. Not sure if I'm hitting them with too much flow.
I run the gyres in alternating mode all day, every day. I tried the random mode before but I notice it spends a lot of time in the lower flow. If I could set it to only run at the max flow and be random, I would probably give that a try but still not sure. when the gyres start to alternate the flow runs into each other and it creates a strong downward current that I like. The alternating mode has worked really well for me.

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks man. I too found the same thing with random. Everytime I would look at the pump they would be at 10 or 20%. I had it set to max 100 on both pumps but it would always be on the low end. I'm going to go with the alternating like you run and give it a go. Thanks again for the help. Really appreciate it.

chevythang92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the gyres in alternating mode all day, every day. I tried the random mode before but I notice it spends a lot of time in the lower flow. If I could set it to only run at the max flow and be random, I would probably give that a try but still not sure. when the gyres start to alternate the flow runs into each other and it creates a strong downward current that I like. The alternating mode has worked really well for me.
When you run that alternating gyre mode and its crashing in the middle how do you keep it from clearing out your sand where that down force is being created .I have two xf250 and cant run them at the same time crashing in the middle on the lowest setting. So i run them at opposite times.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you run that alternating gyre mode and its crashing in the middle how do you keep it from clearing out your sand where that down force is being created .I have two xf250 and cant run them at the same time crashing in the middle on the lowest setting. So i run them at opposite times.

I avoid this buy running a custom program that I shamelessly modified from a WWC flow pattern they had published.

I alternate this every three hours:

Gyre "A" set for a steady 40% flow.
Gyre "B" set on random, from 10% to 70%.

What this does is moves the point in the tank that the two currents come together. When the gyre set to random hits higher than 40% it pushes the steady current back towards the other side of the tank. When it is less than 40% the downcurrent occurs further away from the steady side.

After three hours the gyres swap, with "B" having a steady flow and "A" random.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back