Gyre 200 Series Controller Settings

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to see what people are doing, since this thing can be setup many different ways.

Tank Size and Dimensions: 120 Gallon 4x2x2
Pump Size(s): 2 x XF250
Cage/Prop Used: Stock A/B
Placement/Orientation: Opposite Ends on Side of Tank, Horizontal, about 1" below water surface, each cage 1/2 tick rotated down
Mode(s)/Schedule(s): Testing LTC at 60% Maximum (think in the other thread that I'm supposed to use same prop/cage setup A/A or B/B so will probably need to swap those in)

Trying to see which gets the most random flow without making a sandstorm with my fine grain sand. Also automatic schedule, but I may create my own after a few of you chime in. I've never programmed a night mode to tone things down before, don't know if it's beneficial or not, but may try to OGC mode next.

OP
OP
yellojello

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm liking Alternating Gyre mode. Pump A is +80% for 15 sec, then -50% for 8 seconds. Pump B is -50% for 8 sec, then +90% for 8 seconds.

The reason for Pump B being stronger is because the return pump is aimed towards the Pump B side, so it has more current to fight against. May be too strong for 24 hours use, so will ramp it down with a program.

hotnickz07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run random at 60% from 8 am to 10 pm . The pulse at 50 % holding for 6 secs . Midnight to 8am random at 30%

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a couple different modes but my main mode i have been using is Random mode 100% during the day and i think i have it drop to 50% at night for a few hours.

When i get bored of that i go to the pulse mode anti synced for a few then synced i have a custom schedule with all different modes but normally go back to the Random mode most of the time. fish and corals seem to love it.

Tank Size : Marineland 265 Gallon
(2) XF150 Pumps on each end of the tank about 1in down from top

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed when I used random mode the power would mostly bounce around below 30% and sometimes go up to the max flow rate of 60%. I just have it alternate now between the two gyres.

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed when I used random mode the power would mostly bounce around below 30% and sometimes go up to the max flow rate of 60%. I just have it alternate now between the two gyres.

I kinda feel that way to thats when i change it to the alternating. maybe i should switch that and make it permanent

You use pulse alternating?

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the alternating forward and backward. Each pump goes forward for 2 minutes and backwards for two, not pulsing and the two pumps turn on alternate of each other. I have several tangs and sometimes they rip off big pieces of nori and it gets stuck to the gyre, so going in reverse every couple minutes keeps them cleaned off.

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the alternating forward and backward. Each pump goes forward for 2 minutes and backwards for two, not pulsing and the two pumps turn on alternate of each other. I have several tangs and sometimes they rip off big pieces of nori and it gets stuck to the gyre, so going in reverse every couple minutes keeps them cleaned off.

when you do this do you need to change the cages? or are you using AB?

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just how to comes. I don't use the reverse flow for much other than to clean the gyres off from the nori getting stuck. Since I have two gyres, one on each side, the tank gets different flow from one turning on and then the other.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you alternating at 2min?
I have not seen a setting for more than 10 seconds. I would like to alternate mine but 10 seconds isnt enough time to get full flow. What controller are you using?

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes alternating mode on the new controller , after you set max flow etc, the time interval only go up to 10 sec run time. How did you find 2 min?

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you are doing different but I just checked and it actually goes up to 8hrs alternating. I will take a video.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it worked thanks. The flow runni g the pump backwards is pretty weak in comparison. But now I have some options to mess around with, thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back