Gyre Issue and Question

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two year old gyre xf-150 that has been running flawlessly for two years, I went to clean it today and noticed the impeller was more difficult than usual to remove.... Here's what I found, the seam somehow opened and caused it to swell and rust. I'm glad I caught it before it caused my tank issues. I know it's not under warranty, but just be aware that this can and does happen. I believe I would have to replace the motor block as well as the impeller, I'm sure there was some kind of damage to the interior of the motor block due to all the rubbing. It will cost me over $100 to replace both parts without shipping. Makes more sense to replace the pump.

I think I'll replace it with a 280, but I have a couple questions first.

1) Will the 280 run on the 150 power supply?

2) Will the 280 run with the 150 old style controller?

Thanks.

53764779661__9A5EA5D1-2B28-4225-B714-9A13A33B09B2.jpeg

Ronald Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that' horrible. I will be receiving my first one today and from what I have been reading I am beginning to wonder if I made the right choice. I hope that the 200 series fixed all of the bugs on these.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My xf150 is a champ, it's slowing down a bit, but I'm the third owner and clean it every month or two. It's a real pain to clean, but really a nice product when coupled with a good controller. The XF-150 controller is a bit wonky, but I love playing with it.

Bulk Reef supply has a nice chart, hopefully that helps

Maxspect Controller/Pump Compatibility Chart:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/gyre-xf280-advanced-controller-maxspect.html

It sounds like you looked at the price of the parts, but if you call them they may have something that might help you out, their support is really great. Although their website is great, nothing beats talking to someone in the states who knows the products in and out, even just their live chat is decent.

Last edited:

tygger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back