Haddoni Eggs??

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I did a water change earlier and cleaned my sandbed, which is black sand although there are lots of white bits in it.

After doing so I noticed some white bits on my lavender carpet, but only white bits which I thought was strange. At first I thought it looked almost like styrofoam, took my baster and blew a few of them out of the anemone and didn't think anything of it.

But now I look and there are a lot more and I'm realizing it's definitely NOT part of my sand or anything that it ate. I really think they're eggs.

@OrionN???

IMG_6153.JPG
IMG_6150.JPG
DSC_1229.JPG
DSC_1227.JPG
DSC_1226.JPG
DSC_1222.JPG
DSC_1221.JPG
DSC_1219.JPG

IMG_6155.JPG

IMG_6150.JPG IMG_6151.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to do some research and couldn't find any information at all. A bunch of people talking about male spawning making their tanks cloudy, but that was it.

I'm assuming these eggs are infertile, but I would like to try my hand at raising some in the future if a male in the tank spawns in conjunction.

Does anyone have experience doing it? These eggs are much larger than I would have expected. And any chance they are expelled asexually viable?

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look to big to be haddoni eggs to me. Perhaps its the remains of something it ate????? Maybe the pic just makes them appear larger than they are???? The eggs are buoyant though, and shouldn't sink like that.
Here's a short clip of my female haddoni spawning.

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look to big to be haddoni eggs to me. Perhaps its the remains of something it ate????? Maybe the pic just makes them appear larger than they are???? The eggs are buoyant though, and shouldn't sink like that.

They're all very white and there is a slight mucous around them. I've had the anemone for about five weeks and it doesn't get any food that I can imagine got turned into that. Once a week I'll give it a piece of Rod's food that's too big for my clowns and I feed cyclopods that it might pick up, but I really don't believe this is food waste.

But it's also definitely not buoyant. Quite the opposite in fact. I just tried to turkey baster some of it out of the tank for proper close up photos and it all sank out of the baster before I could get it out of the tank, which in turned made a mess of it all. Very strange.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 5 weeks in the tank, maybe there was some stress in the transfer or acclimation that rendered the eggs enviable, and the anemone discharged them prematurely, before they were fully formed??????

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this type of discharge when nems expel sand from their systems. However, it looks like your sand is black. Could the mucus we covering black sand, or make it appear white in the photos? If it came from a tank with white sand, I'd expect it would've expelled the sand by now.

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this type of discharge when nems expel sand from their systems. However, it looks like your sand is black. Could the mucus we covering black sand, or make it appear white in the photos? If it came from a tank with white sand, I'd expect it would've expelled the sand by now.

It is black sand, however there are white bits in it (picture below). But what it expelled is only white. And the white bits it expelled are larger than the white bits in the sand. And no, the mucus is clearish and the expelled parts are very white.

207428-carbisea-hawaiian-black-sand.jpg

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the bits soft or hard? Can you squish them with your fingers?

That's a smart question, I just pulled out a few and they are quite hard. Only adds to the mystery as the expelled white bits are comfortably larger than any of the sandbed white bits. Curiouser and curiouser.

DSC_1231.JPG

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to wonder how long anemone can hold sand in their systems. Maybe it's just sand from the previous tank that it's finally expelling.

Are you feeding your nems? If so, what are you feeding them?

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to wonder how long anemone can hold sand in their systems. Maybe it's just sand from the previous tank that it's finally expelling.

Are you feeding your nems? If so, what are you feeding them?

Yes, they get a bit of Rod's Food once or twice a week, just a larger piece my clowns can't eat. Nothing significant though. I also feed cyclopods which I'm sure it picks up, but those are tiny.

These white bits are very much solid and definitely didn't come from my system. It's not sand, and again all completely white. And must have been in it's system for at least five weeks.

Also after expelling it the anemone seems a bit larger and happier than it was before.

IMG_6165.JPG

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so it sounds like its didn't come from the food.

The only other thing I think can of is that it ate a large fish while in the previous tank, and the white bits are teeth (yes, this is probably a stretch) or bone fragments..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Below is what their eggs look like. I suspect sand or poop but you said appears , hard so I suspect sand/gravel

1566343013216.png

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is what their eggs look like. I suspect sand or poop but you said appears , hard so I suspect sand/gravel

1566343013216.png
Those don't look like eggs to me. Looks like regurgitated sand, mixed with mucus. Looks to be the same size and color as the sand around the anemone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Those don't look like eggs to me. Looks like regurgitated sand, mixed with mucus. Looks to be the same size and color as the sand around the anemone.
This was something i googled and this was what they described as eggs mixed with sperm and shot out by anemone. I personally have Never seen their eggs

Back