Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Weekly Update.

So I've decided the on/off pulse function of my Jaebo pp4 is the best for my tank. Keeps the flow random, and everyone in the tank is super happy. Below you will find some general updated pictures. I'm including a side by side comparison of my rockwork from January (less rock) and April (added BRS Reef Saver Rock). Reason for adding the BRS rock was one to help aid in bio filtration, but I also felt that the tank was lacking structure. Personally I'm really happy with how everything turned out. It has also given me many more mounting options for future frags. I'm also interested in branching out to chaliaces in the future, and I know those typically prefer slightly lower light, and now as crazy high flow too. I've also created a nice patch for my Acan garden, which is doing really well too!

Here is a progression of my tri-color from WWC. It was doing amazing, and then after my second Prazi-Pro treatment (which did kill my polyclads) It created some gnarly RTN on this piece. This guys a trooper though and is starting to encrust, and recolor up. As you can see it's fully encrusted over the base, and starting to encrust from the top down too.

My one hammer has never been happier. I believe I reported a few weeks back that the one head had split, but not it's blowing up larger than ever before.

All of my Acans are sprouting new heads. The single redone that lost some of the baby heads in the move is back with a vengance, and the other 2 headed acan from WWC is sprouting new heads all around too.

I'm still waiting for my armour of the gods zoas to take hold and start sprouting babies...but all in due time

Lastly, my torch that was in pretty bad shape is now doing great and fully expanding during the day. Bye bye polyclads!

Still dealling with a little bit of cyno...but it's not bothering me at all!

Thanks for looking!

tank-progression-jan-april.jpg

tri-color-progression.jpg

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_5109.JPG

IMG_8261.JPG

IMG_5093.JPG

IMG_6493.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_2937.JPG

IMG_7777.JPG

IMG_3832.JPG

IMG_6311.JPG

IMG_7587.JPG

IMG_8639.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more little update. I think another reason I'm having some great growth recently is due to my lighting schedule. I know I want a hydra 26 in the worst way, but right now my Kessil 160 tuna blue is doing a great job. For the first time over the past 2 weeks I"ve bumped the intensity up to about 3/4 full, and have my spectrum just over halfway during most of the day. They have about 8 hours of that spectrum, and then when I get home I ramp it down to all blues for the remainder of the night. Been seeing amazing growth all around, and my torch and hammer really seem to be happy for a change!

Thant's all!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night apparently my thin stripe hermit decided to hulk out and jump into this monster shell that's been sitting in my tank as decoration. Crazy thing is, he's actually toting it around rather well. I'm hoping he doesn't start knocking stuff over though!

IMG_2834.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered up a new CUC from reefcleaners! Had a decent amount of fatalities in the last 6 months so looking to get everything back on track. Hopefully the new guys will help keep some of my random cyno flare ups at bay too!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hermit crab was knocking stuff over. I was able to get a good medium shell from ReefCleaners, and he went right into it. Now he's moving around with ease, and more importantly not knocking stuff over.

Did a nice 5 gallon water change last night, as well as fully cleaned out my pumps. Tanks running nice and clean. I also added a lawnmower blenny. Had one in my old tank that I loved. Wife was asking for another fish, PLUS we're battling some hair algae right now, so I figured it was a win win...plus the boys love how he stands on the rocks and scoots around!

Shout out to John from @reefcleaners Another awesome order!

Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not much going on over here. Cyno keeps coming back...so I have a feeling like my next step is starting to remove the caribsea sandbed that I have in the tank. I might leave a little bit of sand, or I might go all the way and take it all out. I"ve got a skimmer running 24/7, do weekly water changes of about 5 gallons in a 30 gallon tank, so I really don't know what else would be causing extra nutrients in the water aside from the sandbed.

I'm looking forward to participating in this weeks WWC live sale, as well as their weekly eBay auctions to toss in a few new corals into the tank. help fill it out a bit! Other than that tank life is going well!

Thanks for looking!

Msteven1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not much going on over here. Cyno keeps coming back...so I have a feeling like my next step is starting to remove the caribsea sandbed that I have in the tank. I might leave a little bit of sand, or I might go all the way and take it all out. I"ve got a skimmer running 24/7, do weekly water changes of about 5 gallons in a 30 gallon tank, so I really don't know what else would be causing extra nutrients in the water aside from the sandbed.

I'm looking forward to participating in this weeks WWC live sale, as well as their weekly eBay auctions to toss in a few new corals into the tank. help fill it out a bit! Other than that tank life is going well!

Thanks for looking!

Keep up the thread Hagg! I'm busy also but now I've decided to make a sump and put it in the basement. Wife doesn't know yet but she is always very understanding....;Happy

I need to remember to document on my build thread.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after even MORE research, I'm looking into building a cheato reactor. From everything I'm seeing...grow algae specifically in one place, and it "typically" WON'T grow in your display. Trying to figure out if want to do an HOB reactor, or place it under my tank. I think under the tank will be best, and when it's time to change out the cheato, just place it in a 5 gallon bucket and be good to go!

Oneforone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan! I added an Icecap rs-15 sump to my cube 2 months in and started growing cheato in there. I've never had any issues with algae thus far! Tank is only 7 months old though, but fingers crossed it stays the way it is and everything keeps thriving :)

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i'm going to go the route of the Aquamaxx Reactor, Hydroponic specific LEDs, and a 100 gph pump.

Wife's going to LOOOOOVE hearing that i've gotta make somethign else for the tank!

Msteven1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan! I added an Icecap rs-15 sump to my cube 2 months in and started growing cheato in there. I've never had any issues with algae thus far! Tank is only 7 months old though, but fingers crossed it stays the way it is and everything keeps thriving :)
Just stay on the maintenance and watch the feeding. I had a yellow clown goby that was so finicky I tried all kinds of foods to get him to eat. I was over feeding. So are you harvesting a lot of cheato? What light are u using ?

Msteven1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after even MORE research, I'm looking into building a cheato reactor. From everything I'm seeing...grow algae specifically in one place, and it "typically" WON'T grow in your display. Trying to figure out if want to do an HOB reactor, or place it under my tank. I think under the tank will be best, and when it's time to change out the cheato, just place it in a 5 gallon bucket and be good to go!
I thought about that also. I looked into a diy downfall algae scrubber for chamber 2 but I just think having a sump that’s easy to access is the way to go.

Oneforone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stay on the maintenance and watch the feeding. I had a yellow clown goby that was so finicky I tried all kinds of foods to get him to eat. I was over feeding. So are you harvesting a lot of cheato? What light are u using ?

I'm using a clamp shop light thing from home depot, with a CFL bulb and it works great. Every 2 weeks when I do my water changes I cut the chaeto in half and probably get about 2 softballs worth out.

I have a yellow watchmen goby that hides some days so I usually toss a little extra frozen mysis in the tank in hopes some floats around to which ever hole he's in that day. The cleaner shrimp and hermits usually make quick work of any that sit on the bottom.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back