OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm running the skimmer just at night, and all corals are seeing to be a bit happier. Torch and hammer are both extending more. My zoas are also beginning to open up again as well. I think I cut the nutrients out of the system WAAAAY too fast, and the corals didn't like it.

But I can say with 100% certainty, my cyno is ALL GONE! Thank you AquaMaxx! (although I am thinking some of the issue arose from my media basket as my purigen and chemi-pure blue were extremely brown...and that was all within a months time.

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never thought of the media basket as a possible cause to algae/cyano.

Is the mindset that the bags and filter floss hold on to nutrients and such?

I have some linger cyano in 29 biocube but have been able to control it with just water changes. I'm actually adding a skimmer this week as well.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a cool thing I noticed yesterday, this one single headed acan that I had won through a WWC auction about a month ago is doing extremely well. While feeding the tank the other day I noticed a few little bumps just under the main head, but didn't think anything of it. Tonight while feeding the tank, and then turning on the blues, I noticed that these 4-6 bumps around the edge of the head are ALL NEW HEADS! This guy has always been really happy, but it was cool seeing these itty bitty heads with mini little feeder tentacles out. Long story short, my single headed acan will soon be a 6 headed acan :)

IMG_9010.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never thought of the media basket as a possible cause to algae/cyano.

Is the mindset that the bags and filter floss hold on to nutrients and such?

I have some linger cyano in 29 biocube but have been able to control it with just water changes. I'm actually adding a skimmer this week as well.

Spanky, from my understanding, since this is chemical filtration, once the chemicals have been saturated, they will no longer absorb what you're trying to pull out, and it can then leech back into the tank. I can only assume that was part of the cause, as I removed the media basket AND added the skimmer at the same time. I can report that after 10 days of the skimmer the tank is cyno free. So it might be a little combination, but I'm happy!

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plastic plants need to go.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plastic plants need to go.

Not sure if you looked much beyond the first page, that went long time ago! I had it in the tank while it was cycling and before I put any corals in it to keep my kids happy. Tank was pretty "boring" until the fish and corals started going in!

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not get for through the build to be honest. Fake plants are a hard stop for me :p

Carry on, shipmate.

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spanky, from my understanding, since this is chemical filtration, once the chemicals have been saturated, they will no longer absorb what you're trying to pull out, and it can then leech back into the tank. I can only assume that was part of the cause, as I removed the media basket AND added the skimmer at the same time. I can report that after 10 days of the skimmer the tank is cyno free. So it might be a little combination, but I'm happy!

Interesting. You and I seem to have similar tanks and experiences. Fun to follow a thread I can relate to!

Not sure if you looked much beyond the first page, that went long time ago! I had it in the tank while it was cycling and before I put any corals in it to keep my kids happy. Tank was pretty "boring" until the fish and corals started going in!

Having 2 young kiddos, I can relate on the things we do to keep the kiddos happy.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having 2 young kiddos, I can relate on the things we do to keep the kiddos happy.

Every time we go to the LFS to pick up our water, both my boys keep asking why we can't keep getting more fish! Guess they don't grasp the whole "bio-load" thing!

Idaho-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You haven’t said much about water changes. Adding hard corals will consume alk and calcium pretty quick in a biocube. If you do weekly water changes it will help keep things where you need them. I dose two part in mine and it works well. I also started with a bunch of purigen, chemipire etc in my intank and ended up removing them as it stripped too much out of the water. The only think I have now is a skimmer and a small amount of carbon.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ID, glad to see this thread is gaining some traction! You've got yourself a great cube over there! I like the variety you have going on there! Did you upgrade your lighting? Looks like you've got some great SPS growth going on...would be interested to see if that's the stock lights

I think I may have mentioned in one of the earlier pages, but I change out 5 gallons of water every weekend, religiously. Currently I don't have enough SPS in there to require any dosing, but as I start adding more in, I'm thinking about using the Red Sea ABC Foundation once a week. Right now there's no need for it, but appreciate the feedback!

Idaho-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I did upgrade my lighting, it’s a nanobox retro. Dosing, ATO and lots of flow have been important in my opinion. I started off manually dosing and having the stability of regular dosing has been better. I don’t change my water offer maybe once every two to three months. I add trace elements and aminos and feed heavily. I do have a Tunze skimmer in the back.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, no corals for this guy for awhile! We're moving! Within the next 30-45 days we'll be moving. Nice thing is it isn't so far away, and it looks like we might have a few days overlap in the new house, while still having the old house, so the tank move isn't an issue.

I'll definitely be reading some "tank move" threads, but I'm hoping it won't be too difficult. Since I have most of my frags on rocks, I'm goin to be getting a bunch of 5 gallon buckets, loading everything up, and then right to the new house. New house is about 15 minutes away. I'm thinking 8 buckets will do me good. I plan on taking my water with me, leaving about 2-3 inches of water in the biocube to keep the sand wet, and then get into the house, and set that sucker up right away!

Very exciting for the family. If my wife wasn't about to give birth...i'd joke with her telling her this is the perfect time to upgrade to a RedSea 170 or 250...but I think she would actually kill me!

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, no corals for this guy for awhile! We're moving! Within the next 30-45 days we'll be moving. Nice thing is it isn't so far away, and it looks like we might have a few days overlap in the new house, while still having the old house, so the tank move isn't an issue.

I'll definitely be reading some "tank move" threads, but I'm hoping it won't be too difficult. Since I have most of my frags on rocks, I'm goin to be getting a bunch of 5 gallon buckets, loading everything up, and then right to the new house. New house is about 15 minutes away. I'm thinking 8 buckets will do me good. I plan on taking my water with me, leaving about 2-3 inches of water in the biocube to keep the sand wet, and then get into the house, and set that sucker up right away!

Very exciting for the family. If my wife wasn't about to give birth...i'd joke with her telling her this is the perfect time to upgrade to a RedSea 170 or 250...but I think she would actually kill me!

Nice, we moved in May 2017. The tank move was definitely the most stressful part of the move. Everything went well, but it just stressed me out.

I did something similar to what you are describing. Had about 10 buckets. Filled each about 3/4 of the way to the top.

All livestock in one.

Rocks with corals in individual buckets.

I left about 8-10" of water in the tank (was trying to keep the sand from stirring up as much) and me and a buddy carried it to the car and it sat in my lap while my wife drove about 15 mph to our house which was a 12 minute commute going normal speed, so about 25 minutes away.

The bad part was my legs started going numb since the tank was so heavy :eek:

Got to the new house, got everything set up and then did an 8 gallon water change.

Ask any questions and I'll do what I can to help.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.2%
Back