OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few new pics after moving some things around. As mentioned, moved my frogspawn down to the bottom left as it was stinging my zoa's, and wanted to open up space for my new SPS frags. Can't wait!

My original 2 headed torch is really getting big...hasn't split yet, but the heads have gotten huge!

Next update will be when my WWC order ships! Can't wait!

IMG_8658.JPG

IMG_8568.JPG

IMG_5605.JPG

IMG_9851.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_3634.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I'm waiting on Today's WWC auction to end to hopefully add a few more scores to my haul. During the weeks water change, I had to toss the one torch coral that I had just relocated. All the polyps started bailing out. I saw two flatworms that were attached to it (probably about 1/4-1/2" long, would hang out just along the base of the flesh of the coral) that wouldn't leave it alone...tossed the flat worms too.

I've got at least 5 corals coming in from WWC on Thursday, and will hopefully adding a few more...looking for some colorful zoa's to add now! Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!

Hazenight - Yes, the angels do play nicely together. every now and then the flame will chase the CB for a second or two, but knock on wood, I've never seen then pecking at each other or causing any harm. As an FYI, I did purchase the CB first, and then added the flame. I hear Flames came be extremely territorial, so that was my reasoning behind the order. So far so good!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Christmas in January.... @WWC order is shipping today, arriving by 10:30am tomorrow...wohoo!!! Kid in a candy store over here!

Also a quick update on the tank, the small torch frag that has split, has officially died on me. It was the weirdest thing. The base of the frag flesh split open, and there were a ton of tiny little bubble tips (looked like new tentacles ready to grow), last night they started coming out, and then when I woke up this morning, polyps bailed, and the skeleton is bare.

I guess the coral just couldn't make it. Odd thing is it was doing great the last 3 weeks that it's been in the tank.

The wife kept saying she didn't like the color of that one...maybe she willed it to die ;-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Corals right on time! Headed home, acclimated them, and put them in the tank! Corals look awesome. All frags are really nicely sized. My 2 headed acan is MUCH bigger than what I anticipated, and the SPS are all nicely sized. The two acans had their feeder tentacles out while their were still in their shipping bag, and the zoa's started opening as soon as they went into the tank.

All pics are under blues as I don't want them to be anymore stressed out today.

On to the pics!

Last pick is a picture of a rainbow acan I've had for about a month that is doing really well. Can't wait to see how things are looking when I get home tonight!

IMG_6475.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_7102.JPG

IMG_9713.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals were placed on Saturday, everything seems very happy, and I'm happy with current placement. I'm currently experiencing a cyno outbreak which is no fun. I siphon, do a water change, and it keeps coming back. I know my tank is still in the early stages, and I know this is usually a phase "all" tanks go through. To combat it I'm continuing my weekly 5 gallon water changes. Making sure I change out my filter floss every 3 days, and I've bumped down the spectrum and intensity of my lights to be a bit bluer (just under half), and intensity around 50% (Kessil 160)

Due to the cyno, I'm contemplating getting a HOB skimmer, thinking of the AquaMaxx 1.5, but going to wait that out a bit and see if this resolves it self due to "growing pains". After doing some reading and searching, I really want the Kessil controller, but instead of spending the extra money on that, I'm also thinking of getting one of the new AI Prime HD lights that come with the built in controller...I really hate that I don't have a light schedule other than on/off (especially since I'm not home during the majority of the day, I want to make sure my tank isn't getting blasted too much during the day....

Any thoughts/suggestions?

On to current pics. I rearranged the rockwork a bit on the right hand side so I have more of an area for an acan "garden" if you will, where I can appreciate the acans more. Let me know what you think.

IMG_8497.JPG

IMG_5532.JPG

IMG_3672.JPG

IMG_4359.JPG

Lastly, say hello to my cyno!

IMG_8786.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 has arrived! Can't wait to get that sucker installed tonight!!

Say goodbye to my filter floss! (which I really think might be one of the roots of my cyno!)

Fingers crossed!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Just gotta get rid of this cyno! The wife see's the tank all day long...and is not to happy with it's current "ugly" phase...

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that sucked....I got home, put together 90% of my skimmer JUST to do the last part of putting the outlet tube one...and wouldn't you know, it was BROKEN off during shipping. I thought it was just another pipe to put together...

Most annoying part is that I got it from Amazon, and they are completely out of stock. (I wish BRS stocked this) Ordered it from Marine Depot, and should have it sometime next week.

Cyno is back in full force, I killed the lights, and am hoping that helps a bit. Until next time!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So awesome news....Marine Depot shipped my skimmer last night, and since it's coming from Atlanta, and I'm in Charlotte, it's coming TODAY!!!

Can't wait to get this installed tonight! Thanks @MarineDepot !!

Heyy_KB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great! keep up the good work. following your thread for sure.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Skimmer from Marine Depot arrived and in great shape! Put it together Friday night, Installed it Saturday morning. Started skimming within the first few hours.

I had my lights off for two days leading up to the skimmer arriving, which helped a little bit preventing the cyno from growing in the tank. Once the skimmer was installed, I also removed my intank media basket and removed my chemipure blue and purigen. Since installing Saturday morning, the Cyno on the top rock is almost all gone. Cyno on sandbed is getting less and less, and corals seem to be happy. It is already producing a pretty dark skimmate.

My chemipure and purigen bags were pretty dark, even though they'd only been in the tank for about a month, so I think those "might" have been adding to my problem as well.

Other news is my Frogspawn kicked the bucket over the weekend. Not sure if having the lights off killed it or what, but had polyp bailout, and now it's just a stark white skeleton.

I'll keep you guys posted, but so far I'm definitely loving the new skimmer!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyno continues to recede, water is crystal clear. Emptied the collection cup last night, and this skimmer is definitely pulling some gunk out of the tank. I forgot how bad skimmate smells! Glad I emptied the cup after the wife went upstairs!

Hazenight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyno continues to recede, water is crystal clear. Emptied the collection cup last night, and this skimmer is definitely pulling some gunk out of the tank. I forgot how bad skimmate smells! Glad I emptied the cup after the wife went upstairs!
I do the same thing when I change the skimmer cup. lol

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update - Skimmer is continuing to work great pulling quality junk out of the skimmer. Cyno is almost 100% gone. There is still a little left on the sandbed, but other than that the rockwork is all clear! My corals aren't super happy though. I'm thinking because the tank went from being extremely nutrient rich, to the opposite.

I'm going to try cycling the skimmer on one day, and off the next, OR making it a very dry skimmate, rather than the wet one I have it at right now. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 52.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back