OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first coral over the weekend. Started out with a nice 2 headed frag torch coral. Looks great in the tank, and and the kids and wife are loving the tank! Next two big mods I want is an Octo lid, and the controller for my Kessil light so I can start working out a real light schedule with attics at night and not have to play with it!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few little updates, last weekend we introduced a two headed torch coral that's doing great, a flame angel, and a pink watchman goby. Everything had been doing great, and this closed out all my fish for the tank. Last night, I came home from work, and the watchman goby was upside down on the sand, and my peppermint shrimp was going to town on him. Can these fish be finiky? Cleaner shrimp also kicked rocks 2 weeks ago too

I tested ammonia and nitrates and they came back at 0ppm. Water is crystal clear, and all the other fish are doing great. I asked my wife and she had said just an hour before she had gone in and checked on the tank and everyone was doing well...so I'm really at a loss for what happened. Everyone is getting along great in the tank. The torch coral is doing great too! We might go back and get a few more little frags to introduce into the tank this weekend. It's all coming together! Pictures to follow after my phone updates

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What everyone wants to see...pictures!

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0941.JPG

IMG_0957.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

IMG_7797.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekend update: got a new torch coral, LFS was having a sale for veteran's day, and snagged a nice size frag for $25! With the addition of this one, I finally took out the large plastic piece, and the tank looks much better. Also ordered my RFG from Vivid (sponsor on here), and should have that by Wednesday/Thursday.

I also think the smaller torch coral that I hadpreviously purchased...i think is actually a frogspawn. Which I had always wanted :)

Now the pics:

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few less "blue" shots last night when I turned off the pumps for feeding. Funny thing is that my fish don't like it when i turn the pumps off for feeding...they don't like going to the top of the water for their food. Second the pumps are back on, and water is circulating, they're off to the races. Got a great shot of all 4 fish together.

IMG_1218.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's an updated FTS. I've got my RFG installed which I really love on the cube, and got a new fire/blood shrimp to replace my skunk cleaner that kicked it a few weeks ago, as well as introducing a sixline.

I've got a package of 5280 pods and their phyto on the way which should be arriving today. It was actually supposed to arrive last week, however got completely delayed in shipping. Hopefully everything arrives alive, but if not no worries b/c Algae Barn already shipped me out a new package 2 day UPS that i'll have tomorrow! So fingers crossed my tank will really really be seeded with pods.

Next up I'm goign to get my acrylic lid by Octo order put in this Friday, and then possibly doing some coral shopping this weekend as well. Keep going back and forth between World Wide Corals and their crazy sale, or possible Battle Corals with one of their Battle Boxes...decisions decisions!

Thanks for looking!

IMG_1821.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief little update: Tanks been fully up and running for about 3 1/2 full months now, and is coming along nicely. Fire shrimp has already molted twice. (freaking out my wife both times thinking it died..) and my corals and fish are continuing to do well...at least my first 4 fish. I've lost a Royal Gramma recently in the rockwork. He was hiding ever since I put him in, wouldn't eat...and has since been completely MIA for the past 2 weeks, so I'm assuming he's gone. My other first are doing great. Coral Beauty and Flame Angel are doing well, and my clowns have seemed to be putting on some size since I got them.

My corals have been doing well. Some thing picked apart one of my zoo colonies so I had to remount a couple polyps, but nothing bad at all. The one really rocking in my tank is my torch coral. It hasn't split or sprouted any new heads, but it's been doing really well. My wife actually mentioned over the weekend how much it's grown. You can compare the shot posted below to a picture at the bottom of page 1. It's definitely come a long way!

Nothing planed for the next few weeks. I"ve got my custom lid coming in from Octolids in the next few weeks (which I can't wait to get the black egg crate off the tank so I can get ALL of my light into the tank), and I"ve been told I have some corals, or gift cards coming my way...so not making any purchased...however there might be something going in the tank next week...my LFS is having it's 11 year anniversary sale with "deep discounts" so as we all know...there might be some things that are too hard to pass up on!

Aside from some possible additions from my LFS (anniversary sale, possible gift cards), I really want to make some purchased from Boom Corals for LPS/Zoo's, and Battle Corals for SPS. The way I see my future is growing out this 29 gallon for the next few years, and then moving on to one of the big Red Sea Reefers!!

Let me know what you guys think!

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_4412.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incase anyone is reading this....a quick update. As with all things reef, some go well, and some have hiccups. My torch is growing extremely well, but my 1 zoo frag needs a dip...no biggie!

My LFS is having their 11 year anniversary sale this weekend, so I'm going to check it out. I'm thinking of picking up my "final" fish a carpenters flasher wrasse for the tank, along with some corals. Not sure what I'm going to get coral wise...sometimes they have some really nice zoo's. I'm also hoping they have some colorful Acan frags too. I'm going to stay away from any SPS unless they have something that really stands out, as I'm hoping to do a Battle Box after Christmas from Battle Corals.

Other than that, tank is coming along nicely. Should have my Octo Lid by next week (can't wait to finally let that Kessil 160 fully shine through...the amount that gets blocked by the egg crate really is ridiculous!

Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monday Update: After not having time to go the anniversary sale, my weekend got moved around and we were able to make it out. Picked up my first little Acan (which already shows the beginning of a new head), and some Coral RX dip for my one zoo Frag...hopefully this will clear things up (I also moved it to a different location, so we'll see if this makes a difference.

Also got my final fish, bangai cardinal fish, and a mandarin. I've got my tank all stocked with pods, so the mandarin should be all good to go!

A few pics for the eye candy!

IMG_2445.JPG

IMG_4644.JPG

IMG_4738.JPG

IMG_8662.JPG

Under regular light
IMG_9987.JPG

Under blues
IMG_9230.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy day after Christmas :)

Just a quick little update...no pictures just yet but news of things to come. So Santa brought me $100 for fish stuff of my choosing, and $100 gift certificate to my LFS. My misc $100 went to the following: BRS Reef Chili, $5 pounds of dry rock rubble to place in the middle of chamber 2 of my cube (add a safe haven for my pods to live and grow, a new surge protector with outlet switching so turn off the return when I feed the tank, and a new Jaebo PP-4 Wavemaker to add in some extra flow to my tank.

From my LFS, I have NO IDEA exactly what I"ll be coming home with. After some consideration and talking with the wife...in a few years I think we'll be doing a much larger tank between two rooms (possibly the Red Sea Peninsula series), so for this tank and to keep the kids super entertained too, I'm going to keep this tank mainly softies and LPS, with a possible SPS here or there.

I think I'll be getting another (different colored torch) to place in the front right of my tank, I would love another acan frag to put on the right hand side rear of the tank, and then some other zoos, and who knows what else.

Really excited for this weekend!

Other great news is my custom Octo-Lid is on the way! Matt was great with communication the whole time, and was right on point with his projected 3-4 week timeline! FedEx can't come soon enough!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New full tank shot. I'll grab some pics of the Octo Lid tonight....I love it! Lets all the light in, and was made really really well!

Also got some new corals. A new 2 headed torch, a cool frogspawn, and an acan. When I was taking the torch off the plug, the one head snapped in half, but it looks like I was able to save the coral...the polyps haven't bailed out of the broken head, and seems to be acclimating well!

Enjoy!

IMG_9210.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little video for anyone following along:

You can see the little top nub from my original acan is starting to form its own head. You can also see the two pieces of torch that sheered off. I'm pretty impressed that both heads are alive and doing well! I'm assuming a skeleton will eventually form over the exposed area. It's been almost a week now, and they're doing great!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this cool favia on hold at my LFS for pickup this weekend! Wife wants some purples pinks added...i think this ones' a beauty!

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 5.54.44 PM.png

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few quick additions to tank. Got a new favia and a little ricorda rock for the tank, and moved one of my torches towards the back of the tank. The torch that split a head when mounting took a turn. The head that was mainly in tact bailed out over the weekend, however the little sliver of a pice that i thought was definitely going to die, is thriving, and the base of the flash split open and have a bunch of baby tentacles that are starting to come out!

Currently doing my first bidding on some WWC's, so I'm hoping I'll make a nice haul of 3-8 corals.

Thanks for looking! (Pictures are under blues after acclimating)

IMG_1780.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_9774.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Just won 5 frags from a WWC auction! 3 SPS and 2 Acans Can't wait to drop them in the tank!

Starting top left going clockwise: WWC Pinecone Acro, WWC Cherry Bomb Lord, WWC Tri-Color, WWC Red Ring Lord, WWC Teal Temptation.

I'm pumped!

209CE68F-E1B7-4704-B3F3-151CFD9C40B8.JPG

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping delay....no corals until Tuesday/Wednesday next week. Bummer, but rather everything arrive alive!

Did some aquascaping last night. Noticed my frogspawn at the top of my tank was starting to make my pink zoa's close up, so I relocated him down to the bottom of the tank near my current hammer. I know they're all euphyllia's, so everything should play nice. I also have a touch in that area, and I'm reading some people saying torch's will stink hammer's frogs, and others saying they have no issue. I"ll just be keeping an eye out and see how things go.

No pics at the moment, but both bottom corners of my tank will have Euphyllias, while my new sps will go towards the top of my tank. I'm also working on building an Acan garden, but might rework the locations...time will tell!

Thanks for looking!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back