Hair alge

  • Thread starter Thread starter LARRY007
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

LARRY007

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 12, 2014
Messages
48
Reaction score
1
Location
Melrose MA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
just got a new protein skimmer xs 160 classic for my 125 mix reef my old skimmer went I did not run a skimmer for 5 or 6 weeks the hair algae got stared . Should I run the skimmer In water and vinegar and then put It In the sump ??
 
Not a bad idea to run it in a bit of vinegar/water to get rid of any oils, release agents, ect. Many say it will speed up the "break-in" period for a skimmer, which may be true if any of that is present. It certainly won't hurt, but you might want to give it a rinse in straight water before moving it to the sump to avoid a potential bacterial bloom from excess vinegar - not that it would be anything major anyway.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new