Half of hammer not extending

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1694648473086.png

Got a hammer that was perfectly fine earlier this week. Starting from yesterday the upper head has been failing to open, whilst the bottom head looks perfectly ok. Alk is a bit low at 6.4, calcium hovering around 340, and nitrates are the standard somewhere - around - 10. What could be causing this? Can hammers sweeper - tentacle its own colony?

It looks a bit sad cuz I stuck my phone onto it to try and take a photo but it turns out there was a cut on my hand, so I took the photo outside instead.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a picture under whites to properly assess the "sick" head, but your alk and calcium are very low and if it was in a more balanced system wherever it came from, it could be stressed from the drastic swing... also, what's your magnesium level?

Flow and lighting could also be issues.

And no, a coral can't sting itself.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a picture under whites to properly assess the "sick" head, but your alk and calcium are very low and if it was in a more balanced system wherever it came from, it could be stressed from the drastic swing... also, what's your magnesium level?

Flow and lighting could also be issues.

And no, a coral can't sting itself.
Doubt it's flow or lighting... both are right under the light to the point which the brightness is essentially identical, and I'd be expecting a reaction from both heads if they're stressed from parameter change. They did come from somewhere with 400+ calcium and 8.5 alk, I'm picking up CaCl2 this weekend to make a three - part for future sps.
Don't have a magnesium kit, but I've never had anything that consumed it before. Not sure where to get one either.
1694653948705.png

1694653970442.png

1694653985179.png

I see a small black thing under the small head, maybe a parasite? Not certain what it would be but maybe a burrowing snail.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt it's flow or lighting... both are right under the light to the point which the brightness is essentially identical, and I'd be expecting a reaction from both heads if they're stressed from parameter change. They did come from somewhere with 400+ calcium and 8.5 alk, I'm picking up CaCl2 this weekend to make a three - part for future sps.
Don't have a magnesium kit, but I've never had anything that consumed it before. Not sure where to get one either.
1694653948705.png

1694653970442.png

1694653985179.png

I see a small black thing under the small head, maybe a parasite? Not certain what it would be but maybe a burrowing snail.
Your pictures are still too blue.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pictures are still too blue.
Can’t turn the light off, I don’t have control over the light and the person that has control isn’t in contact with me anymore, and the power outlet is completely unreachable.
I’ll send another one early morning tomorrow before it comes on.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t turn the light off, I don’t have control over the light and the person that has control isn’t in contact with me anymore, and the power outlet is completely unreachable.
I’ll send another one early morning tomorrow before it comes on.
Use the camera flash or shine a flashlight on the coral...

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely doing a water change, or the head is splitting.
to be honest, since I did the nutrient purge I see no more need in water changes. I usually do it to purge nitrates, but now that it’s all gone and I need to fertilize corals and macros… I might even let some of my skimmer waste back in. I don’t have anything that a water change would replace which can’t be solved by dosing or mechanical changes.

I do hope the head will split and survive though… this is quite a pricy coral that I got for stupidly cheap lol

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be honest, since I did the nutrient purge I see no more need in water changes. I usually do it to purge nitrates, but now that it’s all gone and I need to fertilize corals and macros… I might even let some of my skimmer waste back in. I don’t have anything that a water change would replace which can’t be solved by dosing or mechanical changes.

I do hope the head will split and survive though… this is quite a pricy coral that I got for stupidly cheap lol
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Maybe the hammer it's self is doing a water change. I don't know what this process is called.

The one I have was sold as a "frammer".

This was a few minutes ago:

Attachments

• 20230915_201520.jpg
    20230915_201520.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 19

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back