Halichoeres vs Pests Experiences

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figured I’d start a thread about people’s experiences with what I like to call the pest control wrasses of the Halichoeres genus. Here’s my experience so far as it relates to red planaria:

Halichoeres biocellatus - Red Line Wrasse - No visible effect. Destroyed most of my clean up crew.

Halichoeres chrysus - Yellow Coris Wrasse - Minimal visible impact. Friendly towards my clean up crew

Halichoeres melanurus - Melanurus Wrasse - Significant visible Impact. Destroyed any snail that flipped upside down.

As an anecdote and not a Halichoeres - Pseudocheilinus hexataenia - Six Line Wrasse - No visible effect. Friendly towards clean up crew.

How about your experiences?

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanarus is definitely a red planaria eater. I’ve had red planaria in my reef for close to 15 years. If I don’t have a melanarus they slowly show up again. When I add a melanarus they all disappear. I think had 3 or 4 melanarus over that time and each ate them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Halichoeres chloropterus LOVED flatworms and so did my Halichoeres iridis. The iridis seems to prefer nudibranchs and red bugs whilst the jade goes for the Flatworms and Vermetids more (They both go after everything but each has their preferences).
Both brutes are seen in this photo (The iridis is close to 5” if not already and the chloropterus is 6-6.5”) :)
167C7089-5FBA-4D4C-B9AA-2862A549AB99.jpeg

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I don't know about red planaria, but my Halichoeres Timorensis destroys everything, any white flatworm I've seen, amphipod, tiny snail that can fit in his mouth. He follows me on tank cleaning days snatching up anything I stir up. Move a frag and he picks the plug clean.

He leaves my CUC alone 99% of the time, unless I miss breakfast, then he might carry a small Astraea snail around, might try to eat it. Just depends on how hungry he is.

True Love Hate relationship with that guy.

Oh forgot about micro brittle stars, he slurps those up....

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 43.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back