Halides on for 8hrs a day. No growth ?

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 x250w de 20k halides 12 “ above water surface on a 24” tall tank. Tank is 60” long x 36” wide and supplemented by 60” orphek or3 bars on 12 hrs a day. Most corals are about 20” below the lights. Can’t get any growth. Sps just sit there. Calcium 440. Alk 8.5. No3 10 ppm po4 0.05 mag 1350 temp 78-79 ph 7.8 to 8.1

SeaworthyAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Any big parameter swings recently? Any pests like red bugs? Sps been in there long? IME sometimes sps can take months to adjust and start growing even if everything is perfect.

phillybean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unusual for sure, how many different SPS? How long have you have the tank/lights running? What Bulbs and how old are they? Do you dose/add anything else?

I have a 30" deep 220 with 250 SE Metal Haliades and my growth is insane.

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly id say thats pretty low par for a 250w mounted on 12''+ 24" tank.

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unusual for sure, how many different SPS? How long have you have the tank/lights running? What Bulbs and how old are they? Do you dose/add anything else?

I have a 30" deep 220 with 250 SE Metal Haliades and my growth is insane.
Tank up for 2 years. Using 250w de 14k and 20k. All acropora. Oh I’ve been in the tank for about a year. Supplement using a calcium reactor and a Kalk reactor

WetSleeve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’d had to run some par tests..could be to little or to much par.
I’ve had pieces not grow after encrusted for 4-5 months and then I move them to lower par and they start to grow, or vice versa.
It’s nice to have a par meter on hand, certain acros..especially signatures are known to grow better at certain par levels.
With that said though, I’ve found lights are not everything, usually water related..In my experience.

phillybean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank up for 2 years. Using 250w de 14k and 20k. All acropora. Oh I’ve been in the tank for about a year. Supplement using a calcium reactor and a Kalk reactor

How are the colors? Polyp Extension? Do they seem healthy other than slow/no growth?

Do you dose anything else? I also use Acro Power and AF Build & AF Vitality.

Ever do an ICP test? Maybe a trace element is out of wack? I don't think it's the lighting. Sounds silly to ask, but do you have glass in the fixtures between the water and bulbs?

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's the light and it probably isn't the other numbers. Have you done any recent icp tests? That would help determine if there is something in the tank you don't want like heavy metals.

The only reason I say probably is because higher pH is important for calcification. If you keep a lower ph tank (<8.1), then you're probably going to see very little or no growth. There are anecdotal tanks that have awesome growth and low pH, but pH isn't monitored regularly or accurately so it's hard to tell if they had low pH just when they tested or if it's always low. We all generally accept that the acidification of the ocean is contributing to coral death, so why is it a stretch that it's likely stopping our corals from growing in our closed systems? There are literally 1000x more hydrogen ions at a pH of 8.1 than 7.8. I may be completely wrong, but it's something to think about.

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the colors? Polyp Extension? Do they seem healthy other than slow/no growth?

Do you dose anything else? I also use Acro Power and AF Build & AF Vitality.

Ever do an ICP test? Maybe a trace element is out of wack? I don't think it's the lighting. Sounds silly to ask, but do you have glass in the fixtures between the water and bulbs?
colors are ok, same as polyp extension..seems to be holding on, no other TRACE elements added, i am going to send in a ICP test

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's the light and it probably isn't the other numbers. Have you done any recent icp tests? That would help determine if there is something in the tank you don't want like heavy metals.

The only reason I say probably is because higher pH is important for calcification. If you keep a lower ph tank (<8.1), then you're probably going to see very little or no growth. There are anecdotal tanks that have awesome growth and low pH, but pH isn't monitored regularly or accurately so it's hard to tell if they had low pH just when they tested or if it's always low. We all generally accept that the acidification of the ocean is contributing to coral death, so why is it a stretch that it's likely stopping our corals from growing in our closed systems? There are literally 1000x more hydrogen ions at a pH of 8.1 than 7.8. I may be completely wrong, but it's something to think about.
i

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i cant get the PH up...i added a carbon doser and that helped but usually stays in the 7.85 to 8.1 range... i mean i also use a bubble king skimmer, a carbon doser and lots of flow but PH still not where id like it. any suggestions to raise PH?
1641144150303.png

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just adjusted the gyre to hit the surface of water to hopefully raise PH

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 8hrs halides 9hrs or3.

On my standard 120 I run 2 250 watt de 14k phoenix and have no trouble growing acros on the bottom. I have 2 or3 light bars also.
Halides are 14.5" from the surface to the bulb.
Ph has run 7.9-8.1 for 2.5 years with no issues.
Tanks 2.5 years old.
10% WC once a month.
Carx
EZ trace dosed daily.
Alk 8.0
Ca 410
Mag 1350
Po4<.1
No3<5
20211213_161250.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back