Hammer coral 911

MikeG2104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer frag was fine this morning and now looks like this. What is the long white stringy thing coming out ot it? I checked all the water parameters and are normal.

Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Calcium 400
Salinity 1.025
20180217_161009.jpg

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That frag looks fairly new. Looks like it's expelling waste. Something might be picking at it as well. Is your water cloudy or is that just how the pic came out? I would also try to get the nitrates a little higher. Between 2-5 if possible. It may bounce back after some time.

OP
OP
M

MikeG2104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That frag looks fairly new. Looks like it's expelling waste. Something might be picking at it as well. Is your water cloudy or is that just how the pic came out? I would also try to get the nitrates a little higher. Between 2-5 if possible. It may bounce back after some time.
Its more of how the picture came out but my diamond goby created a sandstorm this morning so there is some cloudiness bc it hasnt all settled yet. Whats the best way to increase the nitrates?

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby kicking up sand is probably what's affecting your hammer. Not sure what you are doing to remove nitrates or how old your tank is. There are several ways to increase nitrates but it depends on your system.

OP
OP
M

MikeG2104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby kicking up sand is probably what's affecting your hammer. Not sure what you are doing to remove nitrates or how old your tank is. There are several ways to increase nitrates but it depends on your system.
I dont do anything special. Just have live sand and tons of live rock. I do a partial change once a week as well

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your Alk and phosphate at? Euphyllia like to have some detectable levels of phosphate and nitrate. Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like it's expelling zooxanthellae. Could also look at the amount of light and flow it's getting. I've seen a lot of my euphyllia expel some zoox when first introduced. How long have you had it?

OP
OP
M

MikeG2104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your Alk and phosphate at? Euphyllia like to have some detectable levels of phosphate and nitrate. Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like it's expelling zooxanthellae. Could also look at the amount of light and flow it's getting. I've seen a lot of my euphyllia expel some zoox when first introduced. How long have you had it?
My alkalinity was at an 8.2ish and my phosphate measures at 0 on the api reef master kit. I added the hammer on weds along with a candy cane. My first LPS

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alkalinity was at an 8.2ish and my phosphate measures at 0 on the api reef master kit. I added the hammer on weds along with a candy cane. My first LPS
I would just keep an eye on it. If it's that new it's probably just adjusting to the new environment. Maybe do less water changes or feed the fish more to get your nitrate and phosphate to raise a little. But it's likely just acclimating imo. I don't have years of experience or anything but I have purchased a lot of euphyllia and had most of them expel some zoox while adjusting then go on to be completely normal.

OP
OP
M

MikeG2104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just keep an eye on it. If it's that new it's probably just adjusting to the new environment. Maybe do less water changes or feed the fish more to get your nitrate and phosphate to raise a little. But it's likely just acclimating imo. I don't have years of experience or anything but I have purchased a lot of euphyllia and had most of them expel some zoox while adjusting then go on to be completely normal.
Ok thanks for the help. I'll try that.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back