Hammer Coral has Red

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nyos nitrate is good, you just need a new phosphate and calcium test kit. Light i would just add either an orphek or3 bar or reefbrite lumenbar pro to the current setup ( they have mounting options for ai prime i think). I would keep that lighting schedule or just go with ab+ from ai or others on the forum
heres one:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed spirulina. I just wouldn't target feed it to the coral. Only lightly add it to the food. However, the api phosphate test really isn't helpful so I would get it checked with another kit

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the light setting that I have now is a modified version of a premade one on AI's website. However, it looks like when I originally downloaded Karen Vazquez's, it was a lot different than what it is as of current... Should I try that lighting instead of what I have currently? I will note that what I have currently was the older version of Ms. Vazquez's lighting that I had and modified it for 6 hours.

Do you know which version of the mounting arm you have (18inch or 12 inch?). I would watch the brs video on your light and pick settings similar to theirs. But use the acclimation mode if you do so

OP
OP
Tomoya808

Tomoya808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know which version of the mounting arm you have (18inch or 12 inch?). I would watch the brs video on your light and pick settings similar to theirs. But use the acclimation mode if you do so

I got mine with the tank through Waterbox and checked that it was a Flex Arm Mount 12inch. How long would you do the acclimation time day-wise?

OP
OP
Tomoya808

Tomoya808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for the Spirilina, I do a 1:1 small cube with the mysis... I do Hikari's Spirulina with Brine Shrimp and Mysis cubes with some oyster feed. I have not done any direct feeding though since I got my midnight angelfish (Alolamola).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine with the tank through Waterbox and checked that it was a Flex Arm Mount 12inch. How long would you do the acclimation time day-wise?

I think 20-30 days is fine but that's just a guess off of what I have seen others do.

View Badges
I will be honest, I haven't done a water change in almost 2-3 weeks. I was planning on doing one tonight, but wasn't sure with this situation...

So... with the spirulina causing my phosphates to rise supposedly, should I just feed purely mysis? I am just concerned of my midnight angelfish's diet...

Also what do you mean getting the test kits back? I'm a bit confused on that comment...
Some people don't do water changes at all after a few years of a tank running .here's the key take care of the water stability and everything else will be fine.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Now I just don't know what Phosphate test kit I should get...

The hanna ulr phosphate or ulr phosphorus are the best options. However, if you'd like to spend less, there are other options available but not as easy to read.

OP
OP
Tomoya808

Tomoya808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I got some new teat kits, but didn't get a new one for phosphates. I ordered that now, but the new readings from are the following:
Nitrate: 25ppm (NYOS)
Magnesium: 1500ppm (NYOS)
Calcium: 500ppm (Aqua forest)

Also... it looks like it has gotten really bad and idk what these super thin hair-like strands are coming off of it... Again, this is just my peach hammer coral being affected. My green hammer is doing a lot better though in the 3rd pic. I currently have my protein skimmer off as of earlier last week around Tuesday/ Wednesday and only use 1 cube of spirulina and brine to 3 mysis and a little bit of oyster feast.

Attachments

• 20220402_230742.jpg
    20220402_230742.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220402_230755.jpg
    20220402_230755.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220403_185720.jpg
    20220403_185720.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 26

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I got some new teat kits, but didn't get a new one for phosphates. I ordered that now, but the new readings from are the following:

Also... it looks like it has gotten really bad and idk what these super thin hair-like strands are coming off of it... Again, this is just my peach hammer coral being affected. My green hammer is doing a lot better though in the 3rd pic. I currently have my protein skimmer off as of earlier last week around Tuesday/ Wednesday and only use 1 cube of spirulina and brine to 3 mysis and a little bit of oyster feast.

Hmm I can't really tell from the picture where/what the hair like strands are. Have you dipped the coral?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see cyano on the skeleton, and that coral died a long time ago, just hasn't fully melted away yet. I see no tissue on the skeleton, and one of the 2 is completely dead, the other is just waiting to melt away.

Sorry for the loss, but it is what it is.

OP
OP
Tomoya808

Tomoya808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see cyano on the skeleton, and that coral died a long time ago, just hasn't fully melted away yet. I see no tissue on the skeleton, and one of the 2 is completely dead, the other is just waiting to melt away.

Sorry for the loss, but it is what it is.

That really bites :( Any thoughts on the green hammer that is a single head? I glued them down a couple months ago, so is taking a mallet and a chisel the only way to remove em?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back